Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Put the slicks on

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    I just did a little test with the phone app. Set it to go and it starts when it senses movement. I walked fast for 2 seconds and hit stop. It showed 2.97 seconds. There is a setting for the timing to count ahead for any lag in the movement it senses that was set on. I set it for neutral and 2 seconds is read out as less than 1 second. Evidently this isn't very accurate. Also there if a choice of different gps accuracies. When I set it to high, it takes 4 minutes to zero in on a fixed position. They aren't going to stage me and wait 4 minutes for my phone. I hope this track gets some real timing equipment. It's a shame, it was all there and after no one buying or renting the track and running it for 2 or 3 years, they sold that stuff.

As for going to another track, I doubt it will happen. It doesn't excite me enough to drive 2 or 3 hours each way. This is/was just a little fun for me practically in my back yard. I'll just race some other cars and forget the time and have some fun. I'll hold off on the gear change for a while and decide later. Who knows, this track could close next week.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    It's just physics and math.

If you put 3000 pounds of force on an object and push it 1000 feet, you've done 3,000,000 foot pounds of work. That's how much energy you used to push it that far, no matter how fast you do it. The time element is where horsepower comes from. If you do that amount of work in 10 seconds, you've done 300,000 ft-lb/second of work. If you divide that by 550 ft-lb/second = 1 HP you get 545.45 HP. So it takes that much horsepower to do that much work in 10 seconds. Less time takes more HP, or conversely more HP can do the same amount of work in less time.

Horsepower isn't measured directly. It's a calculation, even when using a dyno. What they're doing is measuring torque at various RPM intervals, and calculating HP at those same intervals. HP = torque x RPM. At 5252 RPM horsepower and torque are equal, i.e. 400 ft-lb of torque ALWAYS gives you 400 HP at 5252 RPM.
    So are you saying that changing my gears won't effect my time? Or are you saying that changing my gears to 4.11's will decrease my time and increase my HP ... according to the calculator?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    So are you saying that changing my gears won't effect my time? Or are you saying that changing my gears to 4.11's will decrease my time and increase my HP ... according to the calculator?
    I didn't say that changing gears won't affect your time. If you lower your gear ratio, your engine will be operating at higher RPM which means it will probably put out more average horsepower, lowering your times. The calculator really has nothing to do with it. It just calculates your AVERAGE horsepower over the distance that you run when you input your car's weight, the time, and distance. If your time decreases over the same distance, you are generating more average horsepower.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

I didn't say that changing gears won't affect your time. If you lower your gear ratio, your engine will be operating at higher RPM which means it will probably put out more average horsepower, lowering your times. The calculator really has nothing to do with it. It just calculates your AVERAGE horsepower over the distance that you run when you input your car's weight, the time, and distance. If your time decreases over the same distance, you are generating more average horsepower.
    So you are saying that I could have well over 400HP but my set up is not set up to use it?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

So you are saying that I could have well over 400HP but my set up is not set up to use it?
    You're talking PEAK horsepower and the calculator gives you average horsepower. Your engine RPM is changing throughout the run, so your torque changes with it. Your app is using the accelerometer in your phone, I believe. Do you know if it's sensitive to orientation? Does it tell you maximum acceleration during the run?

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

You're talking PEAK horsepower and the calculator gives you average horsepower. Your engine RPM is changing throughout the run, so your torque changes with it. Your app is using the accelerometer in your phone, I believe. Do you know if it's sensitive to orientation? Does it tell you maximum acceleration during the run?
    I don't know if my phone has an accelerometer. And I know the app only mentions GPS. No mention of maximum acceleration. Maybe I'll look for a different app.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

So if my phone has almost a 1 second too much advance built in, if you took my times and subtracted 1 second off them does that sound more like a good running BBC? One that is capable of lifting the wheels off the ground? I'm not saying that is my time, it's too much of a guess, I'm just curious if it may be in the ball park.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

I don't know if my phone has an accelerometer. And I know the app only mentions GPS. No mention of maximum acceleration. Maybe I'll look for a different app.
    Of course it does. You said: "Set it to go and it starts when it senses movement.". A GPS signal is only good to a few feet and actual location moves around a little. For it to sense small movement, it must have an accelerometer built in.

What phone and app are you using?

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

My phone does tell me maximum speed, but I didn't let off right at the line. Next time I'll try to focus and let off right at the finish line, or just a hair before it and see what the calculator says using my weight and maximum speed. This could be interesting from what I see.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

My phone is a ZTE something. $45 @ Walmart. Works well as a phone, text, email, and even the internet. Not so sure about other stuff.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast