Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: 57 9 passenger all original vs mod quandry

Registered Member

Member #:2425

57 9 passenger all original vs mod quandry

before I begin changing items in my original all numbers matching 9 passenger 210 wagon I want to get input from those that have both originals and mods to hear the pros and cons related to value and marketability of either condition.

Member #:530
    As a former owner of a 57 9 passenger, I do have an opinion here...

I bought mine in running condition in 2007 where it spent most of it's life in the dry arid side of west Texas, and had it shipped here to SoCal.
    After 8 years of lots of modernization, tools, time spent, learning as I go, etc...I eventually sold it.
    $7500 at the start.
    $21,500 at the sell date.
    Doing all the work myself, spent a good $20K in parts over that time. (new floorpans, drivetrain, wiring, upholstery, etc....everything BUT paint and body since it was always just a 20 footer and that was fine with me).

Moral of the story here is if you thoroughly enjoy the journey of building it up, and have the money for the parts...you can certainly bring it up to todays standards.
    But as an investment? Oh hell no...

If you have one bone stock, and it's in great shape, and you can get $20K for it today...you'd doing well in my opinion.
    I see tri5's of all varieties have dropped in value in the last 5 years.
    Not as many people after them (for top dollar) now days.

Don't let me crush your dream here. If you want to customize...then do it.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    If you have one bone stock, and it's in great shape, and you can get $20K for it today...you'd doing well in my opinion.
    Well stated, Paul. I'm not a big fan of stock tri5s but I know there are some guys who are. I personally think it's a minority of tri5 guys as nice modified cars seem to bring more money. Some models are still bringing good prices, but I don't think you'll ever see the demand for 4 door cars, except perhaps the 4DHT, like you do for 2-door cars. I'm not sure about the 2-door Handyman but Nomads are still in pretty good demand.

I see tri5's of all varieties have dropped in value in the last 5 years. Not as many people after them (for top dollar) now days.
    I think the peak in value may be behind us. Cars seem to be most popular for those guys who grew up with them as teenagers. It seems to me that street rods, those cars from the 30's, have lost their popularity for the most part. The guys who loved them are now gone or too old to be interested in them anymore. Guys my age (60's) grew up with the mid 50's cars and we're the ones who made the tri5s so popular. From what I see most tri5 owners are in their mid 50's to 70's with the peak in their 60's. As we get older, I think we'll see the demand and prices of these cars weaken somewhat except for a few special models.

The real market today seems to be in the muscle cars of the late 60's. Again, I think the guys who had them as teenagers grew up in the late 60's and 70's and are just now hitting the age where they have money to buy these cars. That's why the demand for them is so strong. It's possible that in a decade or so that demand will dry up too. Of course all of these things overlap, as I had a 69 Z28 and would love to have one again.

I just can't see the demand for late 70's to 90's cars ever being that hot. But who knows. The fact that most of those cars absolutely sucked might keep the demand for the 60's muscle cars high.

And sometimes these things come in cycles. I had a friend who bought a really nice stock 70 Super Bee with a 426 Hemi back in about 1980 for $10K. The car was immaculate, orange with black stripe around the rear and a shaker hood as I recall. The car increased in value and hit $55K around 10 years later, then the market for the cars collapsed. He ended up selling it for $18K. Imagine what that car is worth today.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    there only original (just like it came from factory, including paint) once, survivor. personally, those are rare and priceless to me. also, as us boomers pass, the value is going go down. do to the car the way you will be happy and don't think about value is the way I feel.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:3217
    That's right, Carl... 'Make it your own'... "Building a custom car that someone else will like is a losing proposition!"

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Modified cars tend to sell for more than originals. But they cost more to get them that way. If you are in this for value when you sell, sell now, because you'll never get what you put in it. Otherwise restore/build it to suit yourself. Quality of the work, whether it's restoration or mods, is what builds value. So wise choices on how to spend your money and to do any work yourself with good quality is what will get you value for what you spend.

Member #:3249
    I don't need to worry about selling my 56 210, or my 66 Chevelle. My daughter and son-in-law have spoken for them. My 56 is about to hit the road, done the way I want it. When I die, both of them will be parked side by side in the garage, along with my 71 Chevy pickup that they want.
    So, it's not about how much I can get for selling them, it's about enjoying them and knowing that I built it my way.

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Modified cars tend to sell for more than originals. But they cost more to get them that way. If you are in this for value when you sell, sell now, because you'll never get what you put in it. Otherwise restore/build it to suit yourself. Quality of the work, whether it's restoration or mods, is what builds value. So wise choices on how to spend your money and to do any work yourself with good quality is what will get you value for what you spend.
    I agree 100%.
    Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!