Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seamless frame/chassis from 57 Nomad -No Rust For Sale..

Member #:3217

Seamless frame/chassis from 57 Nomad -No Rust For Sale..

In the next couple of weeks, I will be lifting my 57 Nomad body off it's original chassis and it's original rolling chassis will be for sale. This is a '57 Nomad chassis (same as sedans and wagons and with a simple mod or two will work for hardtops also). It is from a Los Angeles built Nomad which spent it's time in southern California, and then Texas prior to being sold to Nashville, Tn area about 10 yrs ago where it began a restoration before I purchased the car earlier this year. The chassis is complete with a 3.55:1 rear end (feels good), Power steering box with power Cylinder, pitman arm linkage, front and rear suspensions, original '57 Nomad wheels (old wide white tires), and spinner wheel covers. The frame is a "smooth" seamless California frame with NO rust! I'm in the north Alabama area not far from southern TN. If you have interest in this PM me or call or email me and we will work out a deal good for you. I would consider delivery within a reasonable distance..

Gary Wylie

Member #:1653
    Price might help generate more interest.

I've priced it to our local chevy club members for $700 as it comes out from under... complete as described... but I have INCENTIVE to pass it along quickly as I have no indoor storage for it once removed...

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I've priced it to our local chevy club members for $700 as it comes out from under... complete as described... but I have INCENTIVE to pass it along quickly as I have no indoor storage for it once removed...
    That's a close figure complete.

Member #:115
    Too bad you're not closer. I am out of seamless frames right now.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

We had a nice day today, no rain in sight, so this afternoon I moved the 56 Nomad, pushed the 57 Nomad onto the lift and began the 'unhooking' of the body from the original chassis... body mounts, removed the steering box/shaft, and prepared to lift the body off the original chassis. After moving out the old chassis (with some pushing help from my wife and neighbors), we pushed the new chassis out of the adjacent bay and back in under the Nomad body... I've got the body/chassis pretty well lined up to drop and body mounts in place, and hopefully will complete the drop tomorrow... I only had 3 hrs this afternoon since I h ad to quit and clean up to go out... (celebrating the neighbor lady's 71st birthday - she's the lady who I've been helping with her new garage and she also helped me push today!)..

I'm very anxious to see it 'all the way down' on the chassis' (tomorrow?), but something tells me I should install the engine/trans harnesses before I complete the drop...

Here's some photos if they come thru... PS. Frame is sold...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 10-12-2017 at 08:50 PM.

Looking great Bamanomad! Those wheels look great on it.

I'm wondering if you'll have any interference with the front of the upper dogbones and the floor. My chassis usually have slight interference there but I lower the rear of the car as much as I can, and keep the upper dogbone pretty much level.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Any updates on the Nomad? It's been over a month so you should be driving it by now, right?

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Hi CN.. Probably a year or two before it's 'drivable'... and that's if I'm lucky!

I've spent quite a lot of time assisting a neighbor with construction of a detached garage, and I built a fence for them... so time has been limited on my car.. (although I've also helped another friend with his '56 HT build - installing windows and steering mechanism.. etc ).

All I've been able to do the last few weeks on my car: I've removed the body from the original chassis; cleaned and SOLD the original chassis, installed a 2-post lift in my garage to assist with getting the body down on the custom chassis, and trial-fitting and cutting offending parts to allow them to come together. I've had to trim the lower part of the front inner fenders where they interfered with the frame, and also cut out the factory shock mounts from the body where they interfered with a crossmember on the frame, and cut away part of the chassis-supplied gas tank mounts because they interfered with the 'storage compartment' which was put into the body replacing the spare tire well. I also must remove or modify the storage compartment in order to make more room for a custom fuel tank... I also made some plates to cover the holes in the floor where the shock mounts were..

It's been a hassle getting the body sitting right on the frame; Of course the chassis is custom, but also the body had a complete new floor installed prior to my purchase of it, so I've had issues with getting the body down on all mounts without excessive shimming (what IS excessive shimming anyway?).. We even made 1/4" thick aluminum spacers for some of the locations, but after installing them I was concerned I was raising the body up too high, so I removed them and made 'half height' rubber isolation mounts for the higher mounts. I'm almost happy with what I have now, although I haven't yet bolted the body down to the chassis.

I should have removed the front fenders/etc before mounting on the frame but I didn't until today when my son in law was here to assist me removing the fenders (and also the tailgate so I can get to the storage compartment...) Today we also trial fitted the AutoRad Radiator/condenser/fans system...

I'm curious about your opinions: Should I clean and clear coat the aluminum assembly, polish it (Nah!), or paint it semi-gloss underhood black?

I've got so much to do to get this car going, I hardly know what to work on next...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Should I clean and clear coat the aluminum assembly, polish it (Nah!), or paint it semi-gloss underhood black?
    I think that depends on what you intend to do with the rest of the car. Polishing is a lot of work but your radiator is visible and they're kind of "in your face" so imo they need to look good. Not sure I'd spray the radiator with regular paint although I don't know what's typically used. I think it's pretty thin stuff they use. And once it's done, there's no going back.

I've got so much to do to get this car going, I hardly know what to work on next...
    I know exactly how you feel. I had to resort to making up a spreadsheet of projects and what needed to be done before I could do something else. I had a lot of mods that were 80-90% complete and had to focus on finishing everything.

It's looking good though. Are you sure you have EVERYTHING done on the chassis before you drop the body on? I thought I was done and ended up doing a bunch of wiring, more exhaust work, and lots of other details. I don't really want to work under the car any more than I have to.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast