Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snake Oil or Good Stuff

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Did some googling, came up with a bunch of tidbits.

Evans coolant is indeed propylene glycol. Evans actually sells 3 different formulations. One is primarily propylene glycol, and the other two are mixes of propylene glycol and ethylene glycol.

I saw on one site that says Evans recommends that if you have computer controlled electric fans, to raise the fan on temperature to 230° F., otherwise the fans will run all the time. RED FLAG for most of us!

I couldn't find anything to dispute Cnut's listing of the properties of both. One thing I didn't find is the thermal conductivity of a ethylene glycol/water mix. Assume it's somewhere between that of each individual part and dependent on mix ratio.

You can't run pure ethylene glycol as antifreeze, it freezes at 10°F. But a 60/40 mix of ethylene glycol and water freezes at -49°F. So that's why it's mixed.

Propylene glycol is also the basis for the "non-toxic" antifreezes on the market, including Dexcool.

You must never have an air pocket in the cooling system with propylene glycol, because the area that's not covered by it will corrode rapidly. (I think this is the basis for Dexcool horror stories.) So there is a catch to the no-corrosion claims.

I could have provided links to some of my google sources, but that would have been tedious because there were several, and this is not a term paper, LOL. Suggest you do your own googling if you want to know more.

Anyway, I now know enough to stick with traditional ethylene glycol antifreeze.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 03-29-2018 at 03:10 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Unfortunately the lack of global worming made it impossible to tell if this stuff changed anything when the guy picked his car up. I think a 50/3- mix of water and antifreeze and a good shroud would have been a better plan.

Member #:3718
    One of the issues with Propylene glycol is that as the temperature drops, it actually turns to a gel. Some of the guys around here will switch to it for the racecar downtime to keep something in the system and reduce corrosion but don't want to put regular anti-freeze in the system as it is difficult to flush out and it's a bad deal if it gets underneath a set of racing slicks. My oldest boy did this last year but without understanding what it does in cold temperature, tried to fire up the car and managed to fry the wiring to the electric water pump - the electric motor couldn't push the gel and over-heated. Not sure why anyone says it's expensive though, around here it runs about $5 a gallon.
    Remember the "13"

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Race cars just need to have the cooling system drained when you leave the track - anytime. Just put some ball valves on the block drains. Use a hose if needed for easy access. Then just use water.

At least that's the way I did it. Also I never thought twice about dumping water in the pits at the track, and no one else does either. But at the shop you may not want to do that, easier to do at the track.

Also propylene glycol is just as bad to clean up as ethylene glycol if you spill some on the racing surface. Another reason not to use it, and as already mentioned, some tracks are adamant about not using it. As they should be.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 03-29-2018 at 07:06 PM.

Member #:115
    S0 let me get this straight....since it has inferior heat transfer properties, they tell you to run your engine at 230F? That's kinda crazy imo. I guess I don't see the advantages of it for anything. Antifreeze has corrosion inhibitors and I've never seen corrosion to be that big of a deal.

I don't know where you can get it for $5 a gallon. Here's where I found PG for $35 a gallon....even a 55 gallon drum is $33 a gallon. The "good stuff" (higher temp) is over $46 a gallon:

https://www.grainger.com/product/20L...180330022004:s
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:3678
    Ever wonder why it`s become difficult now to poison or murder someone with antifreeze?

To help prevent ethylene glycol poisonings, some states require that ingredients be added to antifreeze to make it bitter-tasting and unpalatable. Last year a number of antifreeze and automotive coolant makers agreed to voluntarily add bittering agents to their products even where not required by law. Once the new, grosser products hit the shelves, would-be murderers will have to go back to the drawing board and find another yummy poison (unless they can get pure ethylene glycol, often used in labs like Gonzalez-Angulo’s)

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida 57 View Post
    Ever wonder why it`s become difficult now to poison or murder someone with antifreeze?
    I can't say I ever have.............................................. .................................................. ...........................................

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Both of my drag Camaros have anti freeze, not very popular with the NHRA but I don't typically run their tracks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12