Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Snake Oil or Good Stuff

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Registered Member

Member #:571
    Did some googling, came up with a bunch of tidbits.

Evans coolant is indeed propylene glycol. Evans actually sells 3 different formulations. One is primarily propylene glycol, and the other two are mixes of propylene glycol and ethylene glycol.

I saw on one site that says Evans recommends that if you have computer controlled electric fans, to raise the fan on temperature to 230° F., otherwise the fans will run all the time. RED FLAG for most of us!

I couldn't find anything to dispute Cnut's listing of the properties of both. One thing I didn't find is the thermal conductivity of a ethylene glycol/water mix. Assume it's somewhere between that of each individual part and dependent on mix ratio.

You can't run pure ethylene glycol as antifreeze, it freezes at 10°F. But a 60/40 mix of ethylene glycol and water freezes at -49°F. So that's why it's mixed.

Propylene glycol is also the basis for the "non-toxic" antifreezes on the market, including Dexcool.

You must never have an air pocket in the cooling system with propylene glycol, because the area that's not covered by it will corrode rapidly. (I think this is the basis for Dexcool horror stories.) So there is a catch to the no-corrosion claims.

I could have provided links to some of my google sources, but that would have been tedious because there were several, and this is not a term paper, LOL. Suggest you do your own googling if you want to know more.

Anyway, I now know enough to stick with traditional ethylene glycol antifreeze.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 03-29-2018 at 03:10 PM.