Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: C-clip eliminator for big end 12 bolt

Registered Member

Member #:625
    With Toms Impala ends your brakes fit.
    I highly recommend Toms KA axles I have them in my 55, the 35 spline ones. Affordable and high quality stuff.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    With Toms Impala ends your brakes fit.
    I highly recommend Toms KA axles I have them in my 55, the 35 spline ones. Affordable and high quality stuff.
    As for the 35 spline axles, can I use my same Yukon carrier, just get new spider gears? And I don't know what kind of posi it is, are they interchangeable? Last time I saw my axle splines I could definitely see the wear. They weren't "sharp" yet but worn for sure. From how I drove it and what I felt when it BANGED into 3rd, I'd guess that was hard on them? And being new to slicks I noticed something I didn't expect. When it hit 3rd it was soft. I'm guessing now instead of feeling the car jerk forward, the tires wrinkled and softened the blow?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

My car has a Dana 60, therefore 35 spline is stock, Toms also has 30 spline that fit your 12 bolt. I don't think slicks softened the blow instead, I would expect the opposite. Are you sure the trans isn't going away.

Registered Member

I'll have to put the street tires on and see how it shifts. Then I'll know for sure if it's the slicks. They wrinkle so so easy, I see them as giant very soft rubber couplers absorbing the blow.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:3718
    The nitrous purge isn't for show although it looks that way. Any chance of air in the nitrous line or solenoids can mean disaster.

Once again, I understand saving some bucks and having some fun but you do come to a point where you throw money at one thing only to have to rip it out and put the good parts in anyway. My son and I did a bracket car for him about 12 years back, it's the Camaro and in the 1/8 this weekend the car was hitting 5.96-5.98. When we started on the project and it was sitting in my garage as a street car that we just purchased, he asked where do we start? I said first, we remove everything that doesn't make it fast, second we start with the rear. We put a 9 inch in it as the first upgrade and it's still there. I can tell you that we make on average 250-300 passes each year. I kknow our goals are a little different here but give it a lot of thought before putting a lot of money into a 12-bolt. About the time you think you have it okay, the carrier will spread and spit out the ring and diff like chew'n tobacco. Been there before.
    Remember the "13"

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chasracer View Post
    before putting a lot of money into a 12-bolt. About the time you think you have it okay, the carrier will spread and spit out the ring and diff like chew'n tobacco. Been there before.
    Do you mean the *case* will spread or the carrier? Was talking to Moser and he was saying with 35 spline axles their 12 bolt should be good to up over 700hp. Not that I'm going to buy one of theirs, because for a couple hundred more I could get a Dana 60 clone from them.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

A Dana 60 is the way to go in my opinion. Factory Ford stuff is pretty weak, unless you brace housing and buy a aftermarket locker and N case.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I don't think slicks softened the blow instead, I would expect the opposite. Are you sure the trans isn't going away.
    The tranny seems good. I was just out for a ride with street tires and it again jerks into 3rd. Maybe I'm really low on air? Looking at things from a physics point of view, the wider the slicks, the less air you need. And the opposite for narrow. Just think of when 10 speed bikes got popular, we went from fat tire with maybe 30psi to skinny tires at 100psi. My slicks are only 9".
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:3718
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    Do you mean the *case* will spread or the carrier? Was talking to Moser and he was saying with 35 spline axles their 12 bolt should be good to up over 700hp. Not that I'm going to buy one of theirs, because for a couple hundred more I could get a Dana 60 clone from them.
    Sorry - yep meant the case. Had one from a 67 Impala that I put gears in, new posi bits and spider gears. That was springtime, before summer was finished I was putting the old 10 bolt back in the car to get to work. Case spread just driving to work one morning, shucked the guts out all over the place. Not pretty.

I have a friend that races a S-10 (the new Camaros of this generation) in brackets. He bought this one over winter, put his drivetrain in it and had the 12 bolt in the back that it came it with completely gone through, put a Moser rear cover that is supposed to help "harden" the rear and help keep the right side bearing cap from walking around or backing up. We just finished the second race of the season this past weekend - he's shopping for a new rear.
    Remember the "13"

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chasracer View Post
    Sorry - yep meant the case. Had one from a 67 Impala that I put gears in, new posi bits and spider gears. That was springtime, before summer was finished I was putting the old 10 bolt back in the car to get to work. Case spread just driving to work one morning, shucked the guts out all over the place. Not pretty.

I have a friend that races a S-10 (the new Camaros of this generation) in brackets. He bought this one over winter, put his drivetrain in it and had the 12 bolt in the back that it came it with completely gone through, put a Moser rear cover that is supposed to help "harden" the rear and help keep the right side bearing cap from walking around or backing up. We just finished the second race of the season this past weekend - he's shopping for a new rear.
    Hmm, a lot to consider. I wonder what I could get for my 12 bolt as is? Sure would be nice to recoup some of the money I have in it. Maybe someone here that doesn't hammer on their car would be interested. I'll have to post a classified ad here and craigs list. I'm hoping if someone interested in it can go with me on a test ride so they know it's good, for now anyway, maybe get a bit more than if it's already pulled out and they just have to take my word.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast