Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: C-clip eliminator for big end 12 bolt

Registered Member

Member #:2764

C-clip eliminator for big end 12 bolt

I'm looking into c-clip eliminators. I know they have a bad reputation for leaking, but then most all of them tell you they are not for street use due to the side forces when cornering. I found that Strange makes one for street/strip but it's only for small GM ends and I have large ends. Anyone know of any for large ends? (truck/impala)
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Well that's the story as I know it, never heard of an updated product that improves that. Aren't 60s Impala ends the same as Chevelle/Camaro/Nova? I thought they were.

The best way to fix this stuff is to weld a Ford housing end on your axle housing, and get some custom axles that use the Ford bearings. But that's a lot more expense and effort.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Rick Impala 12 bolts use 1/2 ton PU style ends, Toms Differentials sells axle ends that use impala brakes and 57-64 Olds bearings same part# as so called big Furd bearings. Advised Tony of this on another thread, he is not interested. My parts store buddy tells me Olds starting using these bearings in 1940, Ford began using them in 1953.
    Last edited by markm; 03-31-2018 at 05:49 PM.

Registered Member

Oh I'm interested. It's just really hard to find someone less than 3-4 hours away to do the work. I re read the above and don't think I got it before. So I wouldn't have to change brakes and drums too? That's a little less $$. I'll go look at Toms. Also there is a machine shop close by that said he could do the work but I'm not sure of his abilities. It's been a long time since he did them. I have to do something before I loose an axle. He also "used to" set up a lot of 12 bolts also. Last night I hooked great, but they were having $100 buy in's so I just played in the tune and test time. One guy told me that it "almost" lifted a front wheel. If I get the rear done, probably due for new axles. The splines were getting "sharp" last time I had them out. It hooked like I never felt before. For the first time it felt like I could use a higher stall convertor. I'll try gears first. Although I may have to put this all off and put a new roof on the house first.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Looks like the kit from Toms has a choice of ball or tapered bearings. What I saw elsewhere called "street and strip" used tapered bearings. Suppose to handle the load when making turns in normal street driving
    Taper bearing set 20
    Part #TDC12T-WOEK-20
    Price $135.00 Pair
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

I keep replying to myself but keep thinking of more stuff. If I'm shifting into 3rd close to the 1/8 mile, about 82mph, with a calculator it gives me a guesstimate ET of 8.663. Almost a second faster than my cell phone app I used before, about the same as the delay I found it to have. So if I'm hitting 3rd at the finish line with 3.42 gears what gears would you recommend?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Kye Kelly was there

I almost forgot, Kye Kelly was there! Saw him take one run. What the heck is the spray vapor stuff shooting out of the hood before the run? I'm taking a guess at some type of chill spray because I was thinking of bringing a little can to cool my carb before a run.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    If I'm shifting into 3rd close to the 1/8 mile, about 82mph, with a calculator it gives me a guesstimate ET of 8.663. Almost a second faster than my cell phone app I used before, about the same as the delay I found it to have.
    Here's what you posted before with your phone app.....looks about the same to me

This is my last run, I don't know what any of this means:

60' 2.492 @ 48.99mph
    330 5.488 @ 73.39mph
    1/8 8.524 @ 82.32mph

This is with 3.42 gears.

What the heck is the spray vapor stuff shooting out of the hood before the run?
    Probably nitrous.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Here's what you posted before with your phone app.....looks about the same to me

This is my last run, I don't know what any of this means:

60' 2.492 @ 48.99mph
    330 5.488 @ 73.39mph
    1/8 8.524 @ 82.32mph

This is with 3.42 gears.

Probably nitrous.
    Oh, was the nitrous just for show? As for the times compared to before, today I was looking at the wrong dates on my phone app.
    This is sad. I'll have to blame something for going so slow. Is it really that bad for a street car with no "power adders"?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:3678
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    Oh, was the nitrous just for show? As for the times compared to before, today I was looking at the wrong dates on my phone app.
    This is sad. I'll have to blame something for going so slow. Is it really that bad for a street car with no "power adders"?
    Part show, part purging the system I suppose.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast