Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Good Morning Thread

Member #:3249
    WC, sorry to hear about your problems getting a garage. When I decided I needed a 24 x 50 garage, it took a month from when I signed the contract until I was parking in mine.
    Temps here in the mid-90's, summer's comin'!

Member #:3454
    That is a long time to get a permit for a garage. I think Texas would be about 2 weeks. I guess that is part of the price you pay to live in California. Weather here is cooler today (61) and rain is in the forecast. I think I am going to the social security office today to try and get my part B medicare premium reduced. They hiked it up last year due to me income. I don't have that income now that I have retired. The increase was $53/month on both mine and my wifes. Wish me luck on that one.

Hope everybody has a good day.

Member #:3217
    Besides their outrageous efforts to extract every dollar from hardworking people like wagoncrazy... the california legislature is now trying not only to control/change our constitutional 'free speech' rights, but are getting into controlling our thoughts, our religious views, even to the point to restricting speech related to doctrine from the Bible...

https://www.dailysignal.com/2018/04/...UmNvSWwyIn0%3D

I think it really is time for *portions of* California to be excluded from the USA...

Member #:3454
    The only thing is they are going to need the rest of the country to bail them out when the entire state takes bankruptcy which they will do because they can't support the cost of all their insane social programs and the cost of taking care of the illegals. Of course this is just my opinion.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Re: California
    It seems about 95% of what I buy is marked that it is known to the state of California to cause cancer. Or is it that it only causes cancer in California? Anyway, about a week ago while watching a TV commercial for some steak house where the steaks are grilled over an open flame, it made me wonder if restaurant menus in CA have a disclaimer that steaks grilled that way have been proven to cause cancer? Or do they hang the sign over the door as you enter? Or are flame, grilled with charcoal, anything that causes the fat to burn and smoke the steak banned there?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Permits are good in some instances. Where I live there are NO building permits. Only electric and sewer. I built my garage with pre engineered roof trusses that gave me an upstairs, and they were code compliant everywhere, the rest was a no brainer. Then years later I had a guy build steps up to the loft upstairs. The guy was an idiot but they seemed to be strong. They didn't look perfect at all, but it was in the back of the garage so I left it go. Then a friend came over and pointed out some things he really screwed up on as far as safety goes. So I canceled the check I paid him with. Turned out I canceled the check from the wrong account and he got his money. I patched things up so they are safe, but if they had required permits, there is no way he would have gotten away with what he did.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:3217
    Sometimes the 'inspectors' are no more knowledgable than the idiots which made the mistake in the first place....

Member #:530
    Thanks for your thinly veiled support guys. Dont' worry...I have a thick skin about living here in CA. There are still a few of us that aren't losing it to the lefties.

Building anything in Los Angeles county is a chore anymore. The only harder place (translation...more costly) is building along the coastal counties. There, you have to deal with the CA coastal commission for approval even on as little as adding 1 bathroom to your existing house. They are tough. They are protecting the oceans from us all...
    Anyhow, enough of my rants. I was not able to get the permit done today...the Oak Tree Preservation dude hasn't signed off on the trenching I'm about to do under a couple of 200 year old trees...
    Have some more finagling to do.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    I was not able to get the permit done today...the Oak Tree Preservation dude hasn't signed off on the trenching I'm about to do under a couple of 200 year old trees...
    Have some more finagling to do.
    Glad they don't control that here. I've been cutting a few down now and then as they get in the way of my mountain view. I have a few acres with plenty others so they are not in short supply here. Although only 1 is really old, about 4' diameter. For some reason long ago when the place was cleared for wood, they left one and I WILL do anything to save it. The previous owner leveled some ground and buried a lot of roots and some of the trunk. (it's on a steep hill) When I had rented a backhoe for some other work, I dug it out again.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:1653
    Good morning! Trim, trim, trim. I forgot how much there is in a 57 BA, ugh.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast