Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Morning Thread

Registered Member

Member #:3360
    Well another day of Ohio weather It's sunny now and 36 it's supposed to get to 50 but tonight it's going to start raining again and turn to white *&#* during the night so we'll see what tomorrow will bring. The grass is growing like it's June what's up with mother nature?? Sent everything to the gov. yesterday to find out I could have held on to it 1 more day. Dug the roller out just waiting to use it. Better weather is coming, right? I love retirement also, but I want better weather. Have a Good Day

Member #:115
    Good morning Trifivechevys!

Beautiful morning here and 45 degrees but snow's supposed to hit this weekend. Glad I got the lawn fertilized. Luckily I'll be gone to Montana and the forecast there is for nice weather for the next few days.

Spent most of the morning yesterday at the bank trying to get a HELOC to help buy land if we find something we want. It's amazing how they try so hard NOT to give you a loan. Everything boils down to income, regardless of your assets, and when you're retired you only take the income you need to pay your bills. My income dropped to less than 1/3 of what it was before I retired but it didn't affect my net worth. Beware of this issue if you retire and want to get a loan. I started taking Social Security a few months ago partly so I could show some steady income.

I didn't get much of anything done on the Nomad yesterday but I did do a little filler work on the Hemi55 firewall. I don't plan to do much more on it but I need to start working on the floor and toe boards.

Talked to my painter, Matt, yesterday and he's really helpful and patient. He told me that I should spray the bedliner BEFORE paint. He's done it both ways and he said it works out better if the bedliner is on before the car is painted so you can take some rough edges off of it if needed. I also got paint/clear quantities from him so I can get stuff ordered. Matt's shop is actually a full-service restoration shop, except for interior work. So it turns out he may be finishing up the Hemi55 for Steve. I happened to mention the Hemi55 to Matt and he said he had an opening coming up after they finish a couple of cars they're working on now. Steve was happy to hear that.

Going to keep plugging away on the Nomad parts today and get stuff ready for our trip. I've called a couple of realtors who are going to show us some Montana properties. We still like the very first one we were shown last May but the owners don't act like they want to sell it very bad.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:3718
    Morning everyone! Just reading some of this thread and it looks like most of us share a lot of the same opinions. Not so sure that is always a good thing but it is what it is. I also have a lot of catching up to do on this thread. Actually I would like to go back to last week and bring you up to date, so grab a cup and enjoy.

Tax day wasn't a biggie for me, a few years back my sister insisted on selling the home place that we used as a rental and we took a loss on it so that's got my lousy little piece of yearly money covered for quite a few more years. I am an advocate that no one at 70 and making less than $50k per year should ever pay taxes. We did enough, let the young ones fight the battle now - we had too. Moving on, I do a little bit of handyman work, some automotive work, take care of my two Yorkies, the house and when there's spare time I get to work on my projects. You might notice that the projects are at the end of the list and that's pretty much the way it works.

So last week I had a small roofing job that I had hoped would take maybe a day and a half to do, well once I got into it that ended up being an extra day. Funny how people don't tell you the roof's been leaking for a really long time. I ended up having to plate some rafters to have anything to nail the new sheathing to. So that was about 3 days out of my week. On Friday, I got calls for three more small jobs. A faucet replacement, adding steps to a deck and a minor remodeling of a front porch. For the rest of the day I tuned up the mowers and started getting the grass and weeds cut down. Weather was decent with mid-50/60.

Saturday was race day at Virginia Motorsports Park but honestly I just didn't feel like dealing with it. So two of my boys went but didn't have much luck. I stayed home and the wife and I decided it was time to put the new top that had been sitting for a couple of years on her Toyota MR2 Spyder. Another one of those, this should be done in a day deals. Ha! Anyway got the old top off and about half of the new top on when we called it quits at 6 pm after working on it all day. I had broken my rivet gun (I can't live without that tool) so we got cleaned up, went by the store picked up a new one and decided to grab some food. Something decent not fast food. Ate at a place called the Carolina Ale House. We walked out of there both agreeing that it was the worst meal and service we had ever had. I mean from beginning to end, it was horrible.

On to Sunday, I figured I would flip on the roundy-round boys on the tv and finish up the MR2. Figured I would have time for some wiring work on my project afterwards. Nope, shouldn't make plans like that. I spent just about the entire Sunday getting that top finished. The old one and the new one installed quite a bit different according to the instructions but it looked nice once it was done. After I finished that I walked down to a neighbor's house and picked up her Acura MDX (forgot to mention she had called about it) and it needed the windshield washers front and rear repaired, the glovebox was laying in the floor and the rear hatch supports needed to be replaced. I came home with it, figured out what parts I needed and got those ordered.

Sunday night it started storming, then it rained most of Monday until later in the afternoon. Did I mention that I sell Amsoil on the side a little? Well I just went back to being a dealer and tried one of their dealer website deals - it's cookie cutter for everyone unless you want to spend $200 a month with them for something custom. I cancelled their deal and started building my own. I guess I forgot to mention that I was in Information Technology for 25 years or so. So I spent Monday off and on working on that some.

Tuesday was a decent day - actually broke bad and washed my race trailer getting a lot of the dark streaks off of it. I have found that if I squirt some Awesome from the dollar store on it, let it sit for a minute or two, scrubbed it with my soft brush then wash the surface with Turtle Wax Spray and Wax wash, it comes out rather good. My trailer is almost 20 years old now so it's not perfect but still doesn't look too bad. I also had time to work on mounting my Co2 bottle, run the lines for that and got back to some of the wiring I am working on. Right now I just finished the instrument panel and next is making some of the connections between the panel and the main wiring. I want to be able to disconnect the panel and pull it if needed for repairs or updates.

Wednesday was another decent weather day and I had to meet with my daughter-in-law that runs her own painting deal about that porch project. After that it was an emergency shower faucet repair. After running around town a bit picking up those parts for the Acura, I got back to my garage and repaired the glovebox and rear struts.

Thursday was pretty too - wow, like 3 days in a row - it's getting better! We are getting ready to take back a small house we own that the tenant has tore up from one end to the other. It looks to be like about 2+ months of work plus getting a new roof on it (hiring that out) to get it flipped. Pisses me off because the house was really nice when we sold it on a "rent to buy" deal. I had to meet a racing friend that is giving me a quote to repair/replace the AC system on this house. I then went to the other side of the city to help out one of my sons and picked up a new driveshaft we had to have built for the Corvette roadster. Seems that when you go with a Reid case on your fresh Powerglide and get the roller bearing tailshaft option, nothing friggin fits after that. The tailshaft takes a special chromemoly input shaft piece that was $170 itself and the thickness of the Reid case pushes everything back about .750 - .800 so the length of the driveshaft we had wouldn't work either. So it was have Standard Parts in Richmond build us a new one. And this is probably the 4th or 5th driveshaft that they have built for us - always dead-on perfect. Love those guys down there, they know their stuff! So went by Amsoil warehouse and picked up some orders, then drove to my son's house and dropped off the driveshaft. Then went to pick up the windshield washer parts that had come in and finally headed back to my garage. I got the work done on the Acura although it was a PITA. It had somehow gotten debris in the washer reservoir which in turn got into the lines. I ended up rigging up the regulator for my airbrush with a nipple to fit the water lines and used about 10-12 psi to blow air through the system. It had 2 breaks at the rear hatch and 1 under the hood. Plus I had to pull the reservoir out to get it cleaned out and replace the two pumps. I do honestly earn my extra money. Anyway, delivered the car back. Came home and finished mowing the back area. I have about 2.5 acres to mow so I usually do the front, sides and back in sessions.

And that brings us to Friday - today. It's a bit after 9am right now. I have a little bit more grounds work to do, going to spread some stuff on the lawn today. Should be able to get my new RPM activated switch installed - made the mount for it the other night and get that wired up today too. Tomorrow is race day at Richmond Dragway, I plan on being there to help my son with the Camaro and see if we can't fatten the week's pay voucher a little bit. Oh and did I mention that I retired about 5 years ago?

Have a good day everyone - hope you enjoyed this mess.
    Last edited by chasracer; 04-20-2018 at 06:25 AM.
    Remember the "13"

Member #:115
    par·a·graph
    ˈperəˌɡraf/
    noun

1. a distinct section of a piece of writing, usually dealing with a single theme and indicated by a new line, indentation, or numbering.

Speaking of taxes.....what pisses me off is having to pay taxes on social security that was originally from taxes you paid all your life. IMO you shouldn't have to pay one cent of tax on your social security payments, and you should be able to make as much as you want on the side without getting penalized.

It's a brisk 40 degrees here this morning and we're hitting the road. Y'all have a great day!
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Ha! Yep, I'll stick with that going forward.

I agree with you on the SS taxation, once again it's not right but no one ever wants to change it. I am not stupid but why we don't have a flat sales tax is beyond me. This government is so stuck in the old ways of doing things it's ridiculous.
    Remember the "13"

Member #:3454
    Good Morning Everybody:

I took my wife for her annual mammogram yesterday morning so I never got back to post on this thread. She got good results which is always a relief since she had breast cancer almost 9 years ago. We stopped and had lunch to celebrate another year. Next year will be a milestone at 10 years. We went over to one of the nearby cities in the metroplex to hear our son play and sing. It is just a small club/restaurant that he plays at pretty often. He does mostly C&W and some older southern rock. We are both very proud of him for what he has accomplished.

chasracer, welcome to this thread. It sounds like you are a busy multi-talented guy. I am glad you joined and hope we are able to keep this thing going.

I have a couple things to attend to in my office this morning and then it is outside to do some of the yard work and other stuff I need to tend to. It is cool here (50 degrees) this morning but I know some of you would probably consider 50 degrees a heat wave. It is supposed to rain tomorrow so that will be the third Saturday in a row I have missed a car show. I hope everybody has a good day followed by a great weekend.

Registered Member

Member #:3360
    Good morning everyone, it's bright outside the news called it sunshine? looked it up on the IN and sure enough that's what it is. They say we are to have 5 days with NO snow or rain after all this is OHIO if you don't like the weather wait 5 min's and it will change. Max and Sadie our looking forward to spending to day outside. Sadie is shedding really bad, combed her the other day and took a other dog off her I'm going to get outside and enjoy it while I can. Have a Good Day everyone!!!!!!

Member #:3454
    Good Morning Guys:

My car show today got rained out. This is the third Saturday in a row I was supposed to go to a car show and the weather has interfered. The prior two were too cold and then rain today. Oh well, I will try again next Saturday. Hope everybody has a good weekend.

Wow - not sure what happened to Sunday around here but my plans called for doing a little more yard work then working on one of my hot rods for the rest of the day. Unfortunately, last night my middle son, Phil had an issue with the Camaro at the drag strip. We went 5 rounds of racing but in the last run either the car jerked him back in the seat or getting out of the car messed up his back. Had him in the E.R. at 6:00a this morning and he's been diagnosed with a herniated disc. Not sure what will come next but we had just made plans to attend the World Footbrake race in Bristol, TN the first week of June - taking two of our cars and see if we can do some damage. I have broken my back in 4 places before so I have a good idea of the pain he's going through and hopefully he'll recover quickly from it.
    Remember the "13"

Member #:516
    Not much here today, just church and nap time, then made Lamb Kabobs mmmm! Yesterday I cut and buffed the rear spoiler for my wife's 2014 Mustang and installed it, looking great!!! I also cleaned up the garage. Getting ready to prepare the engine for my boat next so I can sell it!!!

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast