Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Handling with slicks

Member #:115
    Seems to me that "slicks" and "handling" don't belong together in the same sentence.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Absolutely nothing its been proven to work by tens of thousands of racers for the last 50 or 60 years.
    markm, are you talking about screws or glue?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Seems to me that "slicks" and "handling" don't belong together in the same sentence.
    Yes, I learned that quickly without any warning! How about "how to make them go a little more straight"? Handling does imply turns which I didn't mean to talk about. I ordered inner tubes. I'll try it first with them, then try adding 2psi and try that.
    Last edited by 55 Tony; 04-04-2018 at 05:11 AM.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    markm, are you talking about screws or glue?
    Screws .

Member #:3718
    I am a little lost here and maybe missed something. Are you talking about handling at the drag strip? Are the wheels matched up to the slicks as in the recommended wheel width for the slick? Tubes are normally not needed unless the manufacturer of the slick says you need them. How many pounds of air are you running in the slicks? And forget the freakin glue - you can get a small kit from Moroso and other outfits that has the screws you need along with the correct size drill bit. Usually for this type of application about 5-6 per side. I would recommend making yourself a cardboard template to keep the screws fairly uniform in distance around the circumference of the wheel. Just as a note, I use 8 per side on my dragster. They are Hoosier 33 x 16 /15 on 16" wide wheels. Car runs 7.70's @ 182.
    Remember the "13"

Registered Member

The poor handling was at the track. The back end was going right and left. I'm going to add more air and see if it makes a difference. They were at 16psi and are 9", wheels are 8". Recommended size is 8" to 10". Right now the street tires are on but when I put the slicks back on I'll try more air. They launched great! I was told it was close to lifting the front tires this time.
    What will happen if say only one slick spins on the wheel? Will it turn the car one way or another? Or damage them?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    There is something else that can lead to bad handling. With the slicks pumped up to exactly the same air pressure, measure the circumference of each slick, at the center. There should less than 1/2" difference between them.
    Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!

Registered Member

I am a huge fan of M/T slicks they are a low heat tire that when ran at 14-16 psi I do not have the issue to which you refer. The folks selling screw kits used to recommend 8 per side and included a math formula for spacing. An old timer just told me to get a ruler and line it up with lug nut holes and do 5 per side. I have 7, 8 and 10 inch wide Supertricks with slicks, I have ran 28x9s on both the 7 and 8 inch ones for years.

"What will happen if say only one slick spins on the wheel? Will it turn the car one way or another? Or damage them? "

With or without tubes, I told you my experience.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    "What will happen if say only one slick spins on the wheel? Will it turn the car one way or another? Or damage them? "

With or without tubes, I told you my experience.
    I don't believe you did tell me about your experience with slicks without tubes what happens when they slip/spin on the wheel?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    I don't believe you did tell me about your experience with slicks without tubes what happens when they slip/spin on the wheel?
    See response #5 in this thread.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast