Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Handling with slicks

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    See response #5 in this thread.
    I see nothing about a tire slipping with no tube inside???
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:625
    From my earlier post.

bad plan as spun the slick on the rim and the tube wadded up creating a sever imbalance at high speed.

Out of balance like right rear tire coming off the ground at speed.

Registered Member

From my earlier post.

bad plan as spun the slick on the rim and the tube wadded up creating a sever imbalance at high speed.

Out of balance like right rear tire coming off the ground at speed.
    Without a tube?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Biggest problem with the tire bead slipping on the rim is loss of air pressure as well as ruining any balance work because the weights are now in the wrong place. That's without a tube. With a tube, add in the possibility of cutting the tube's stem.

When I had a race car, I never ran tubes except in the very early days. I got away from them due to weight and expense. The tires would lose pressure when the car was stored between races. I always stored the car on jack stands so that the weight of the car was never on a flat or nearly flat tire. And I always used screws, tubes or not.

Member #:3
    Had many Race cars over the Last 40 Years

They all had screws in the real wheels , BETTER SAFE than sorry !

Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Completely agree with the both of you[Sid & Rick], but its Tony, he likes to ask a question he has already decided his answer to and then argue.

Registered Member

Completely agree with the both of you[Sid & Rick], but its Tony, he likes to ask a question he has already decided his answer to and then argue.
    If you could read you would see that I didn't ask about glue. Not once. I stated that I was going to use it. Do you know the difference?
    Also if you could read, you wouldn't have kept up with the same reply about the inner tubes when I kept asking about the tires slipping without tubes. Then when you finally caught on and saw that your multiple dumb replies were not addressing the question I asked, you then ignored the question and posted another incorrect statement.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    If you could read you would see that I didn't ask about glue. Not once. I stated that I was going to use it. Do you know the difference?
    Also if you could read, you wouldn't have kept up with the same reply about the inner tubes when I kept asking about the tires slipping without tubes. Then when you finally caught on and saw that your multiple dumb replies were not addressing the question I asked, you then ignored the question and posted another incorrect statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitchin'57 View Post
    There is something else that can lead to bad handling. With the slicks pumped up to exactly the same air pressure, measure the circumference of each slick, at the center. There should less than 1/2" difference between them.
    55Tony, I addressed your bad handling with the above reply, and you ignored it. Did you consider that a "dumb reply" as well? Before you look into tubes, glue, or anything else, you should start out be making sure your slicks are in fact the same circumference. I know of what I speak here. BTW, I'm with the others, glue is a bad idea.
    Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!

Member #:1653
    I just don't understand. Why does it become necessary to carry on like this?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bitchin'57 View Post
    55Tony, I addressed your bad handling with the above reply, and you ignored it. Did you consider that a "dumb reply" as well? Before you look into tubes, glue, or anything else, you should start out be making sure your slicks are in fact the same circumference. I know of what I speak here. BTW, I'm with the others, glue is a bad idea.
    Actually I checked the air and measured them much earlier today, but trying to keep up with markm led me astray and I forgot to reply. I do appreciate your input. The tires are within 1/4" of each other with the same air pressure in both. As far as the glue, thanks but it was never a question. There are many people doing it with good results, people with a lot more HP than me.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast