Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ignition timing erratic

Member #:115
    My ECU has a setting for closed loop at temperature, and I have it set for 120 degrees. I don't think it has one for RPM.

I have an HP/Compaq EVO N610C that ran Windows XP Professional. I used it for work at HP until it was replaced with a new one and I kept it. I started out with loading the C950 software on it and it ran fine. Then I found out the battery was dead and wouldn't charge so I ordered a new one (around $30). When I got it I found out I had the wrong charger and it wouldn't charge the battery so I ordered a new one (around $10). Everything was fine....then the disc crashed. I just ordered a new Hitachi 40GB disc drive for $7 and an XP Professional re-install disc for $7. I have the Windows code so supposedly that's all I need. Hopefully that gets me where I need to be. It's in great shape otherwise. And it has a serial port.

The headers are on their way to Jet-Hot.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

The good news is I got the headers back from Jet-Hot and they look great. My only complaint is that it cost me $26 to ship them and they charged me $45 to ship them back. Surely they get better shipping rates than I do. I ordered some new copper header gaskets that should be here soon and I can get them re-installed.

20180503_026.JPG

The bad news is that I received the new hard drive for my PC and the "bootable" CD with Windows XP Professional, installed the drive, and it won't boot. I had an IT friend of mine here yesterday and we spent 6 hours trying to get it to boot. The hard drive tests out fine via the BIOS so we think it's the OS. We even tried to image the hard drive directly from another PC and it looked like it was loading, but then it failed on a re-boot.

Another issue I've run into with the PC is that something is either wrong with my NEW battery or my NEW charger. When I first installed the battery and plugged the charger in, the BIOS said it was charging and it got to 24% and stopped. It's a "smart" battery and the indicator lights on it showed it was partially charged. But now the battery is discharged and won't charge anymore. But it gets weirder......the battery is 14.4 volts and I have a 12V charger and the CORRECT 18.5V charger. When I plug the 18.5V charger into the PC nothing happens and it won't start. If I plug the 12V charger in, it starts up every time. I can even start it up with the 12V charger, unplug it and plug in the 18.5V charger, and it will stay running. But if I turn it off, it won't re-start unless I plug the 12V charger back in. I have no idea what's going on there but I'm getting tired of spending time and money on this PC. It worked fine last fall.

I have to get an XP computer working or I'll have to get a new ECU. Still not sure where to go with this.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    Headers look great Laszlo!

Member #:530
    A second compliment on the look of the jethotcoated headers. (insert thumbs up icon here...which doesn't exist amongst all the smiley faces to choose from...)

I have to get an XP computer working or I'll have to get a new ECU. Still not sure where to go with this.
    So we have a bigger issue here, and I feel for ya man. Back when you started the build and made decisions on the motor..that setup was a great way to go. But the passage of time has rendered it old school and so moving on means a total redo of the ECU which means more money.
    Look at the decision like this: If you did get the ECU sorted out with a Windows XP based laptop, how much longer can you keep that setup all working? (hint, it gets harder and harder)
    If you junk it, and go with a more modern ECU, how much longer can you keep THAT setup working (hint, better odds than staying with the XP laptop)
    Does upgrading now, prevent further frustrations down the road? What about for the next owner or anyone else you might enlist to tune it?
    Considering what you just spent on paint materials, maybe it's time to upgrade and get it over with now?
    Like me, I'm sure you stopped counting the dollars you have into this build, because it doesn't make financial sense anymore (investment vs. resale value).
    But that's not why we build these hot rods. Its the pursuit of the finished product that keeps us moving forward.

junk your XP laptop strategy and move to newer technology. I think in the end, you'll be happier overall...

That's my 2 cents for a Friday morning.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    junk your XP laptop strategy and move to newer technology. I think in the end, you'll be happier overall...
    Paul, I'm not too worried about having an XP laptop work for many more years. There's still a lot of people using XPl, since some think it's Microsoft's best OS they ever built. I don't care about support for it because it only has to run one program.

And the ECU is quite capable, even considering that it's "old tech". I really don't gain much with a new ECU as far as programmability, from what I can tell, but the new ones do have some self-learning capabilities. There's still lots of guys using the C950 and I see them for sale now and then, even new ones. Year One is still selling new EFI kits based on the C950.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Throttle-Bo...xZ55nG&vxp=mtr

The real hesitation is that I want to avoid re-doing stuff because I've been working on this car for well over a decade, as you know.

That said, I have been considering doing just that and ditching the C950 if I can't get a "solid" XP system working. I found out that my WBO2 controller will still work with Holley's new system, but I don't know what others it's compatible with. I don't want to screw with it right now and I have until I finish up my console and wiring to decide. If I decide to change, I might have to change some sheetmetal in the console too. I found the drawing for the HP EFI ECU so I need to decide if that's what I want to do when the time comes, of if I find a great deal on the ECU and main harness alone.
    Last edited by chevynut; 05-04-2018 at 08:35 AM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:2209
    Ill put a plug in for mega squirt, I am using the megasquirt 2 V357 on my lt1. I used this because it would work witht he optispark ignition and I didnt want to change it. I think you could use this https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...iring-harness/

Cost less than a new laptop and tuner studio is an easy software platform to learn. I have mine running on a tablet and a laptop without problems.

There are even wireless options using Bluetooth. I find this works the best actually. http://tunerstudio.com/index.php?opt...d=70&Itemid=68

Quote Originally Posted by Fladiver64 View Post
    "While the MicroSquirt can run fuel and ignition on LS series motors, this takes it about to the limits of its available I/O, and some features, such as the stepper-type IAC valve, are not supported. Depending on your needs, an MS2 with custom mods or MS3 may be a better choice. "

I'm inclined to stick with the Holley HP EFI because they claim it's an upgrade to the C950 system so most of my stuff can be re-used. I can get the ECU and a universal unterminated main harness for about $1500.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/554-113
    Last edited by chevynut; 05-04-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:3018
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post

Have you tried using oracle virtual box to run windows XP Laszlo? It allows you to run windows (and multiple other operating systems) in a virtual environment on another computer. The virtual box software is entirely free, you just need a license for windows XP. I use it to run all of my VAG-COM software on windows XP for my audi, and I do it all from my Mac. Another upside is that it doesn't take an hour to install windows XP if you use an ISO file (like it does from a CD). If you want to try it and need any help with it let me know, I think it would solve your problems.

Here's a link https://www.virtualbox.org/

Registered Member

Member #:3018
    Here's a shot of it working. All you would need is a RS232 to USB adapter to make it work.

Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 11.46.11 AM.jpg

Got the headers re-installed today. I went with SCE Pro Copper 2" round port embossed gaskets that are solid copper. They're supposed to seal well on irregular flanges and are re-usable. I also did a permanent installation of the wiring from the alternator to the back of the engine. I have a MIDI fuseholder with a 175A fuse bolted to the block.

20180506_003.JPG

20180506_004.JPG

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast