Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ignition timing erratic

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I still believe this ECU will do everything I'll ever want it to do.
    I think you're right with one exception. No expert here, but from talking to users, the Holley HP has had a positive evolution of the PID algorithms that affect throttle response, especially with any kind of non-stock camshaft timing. You'll know if you need help there.

Registered Member

Member #:3018
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Well today I got the driver for the USB to RS232 adapter loaded after about 2 hours of work. I took the PC out to the shop and connected it to my engine. After setting the comm port correctly I fired the engine and it looks like everything works like it's supposed to. I haven't gotten any "runtime errors" and I can read the ECU data with no problems.
    Awesome, glad to hear you got everything up and going... I've been putting out fires and working into the wee hours of the morning so I wasn't able to respond... 32 hours in two days, my brain is kind of mushy right now..

The only thing is that I can't figure out how to get back to my W7 OS. I turn the PC off and it just boots to WXP as if it was the only OS on the machine. But I did create a separate 20GB partition for WXP when it loaded and the other partition with W7 should not have been disturbed. I would like to boot W7 on it if I can...any ideas?
    When you boot up your computer, during the initial black or blue screen with white text there should be a press F# for bios (# being the number it tells you to push, F1-F10) If you press and hold whichever function key to get into the bios you should be able to change which OS that it boots to within the bios. I can't exactly tell you what to set it to, but it should be pretty obvious and be in a boot section.

Also, I would be very careful about using the internet on the XP machine, it doesn't take a whole lot to get a virus on an XP machine these days.. That's part of the reason I like using the virtualbox software, I can quarantine the XP OS and browse the internet on the same computer via the host OS.

And regarding the XP not requiring a serial number, was it a factory re-install disk from a laptop manufacturer?(I've seen these install without requiring password) Or was it a Microsoft XP Pro disc (has hologram looking stuff on it)... I've also had them install without the serial, but require activation after an initial 30 day trial period
    Last edited by 56Safari; 05-09-2018 at 12:20 PM.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Safari View Post
    And regarding the XP not requiring a serial number, was it a factory re-install disk from a laptop manufacturer?(I've seen these install without requiring password) Or was it a Microsoft XP Pro disc (has hologram looking stuff on it)... I've also had them install without the serial, but require activation after an initial 30 day trial period
    It was a disc I bought on eBay that says it requires a product code. However, it did load. I bought it for the Compaq EVO PC that has the product code on it, but it won't load onto that one. Now I wonder if this damned thing is going to lock me out in a couple of weeks.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:2694
    IMG_0350 (2).JPG

For what its worth here is a picture of my timing map. Granted I have a stock zz502 cam. While I am still working to optimize it, I can say the car runs strong throughout and will run at 1500RPM in overdrive perfectly.

Thanks Five Seven. What ECU are you using? Your RPM steps make a lot more sense to me than the ones Holley has for the 502 programs. I don't see why they start at 400 RPM and they go all the way to 6500. I'll probably re-do mine to be like yours....I won't go under 600 nor over 6000. My cam isn't a lot different than the stock cam as far as duration, but I get .610" lift on the intakes and .585" lift exhaust via 1.75 and 1.8 ratio Scorpion roller rockers.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:2694
    No problem. I have the HP ECU.

The last time I re-booted it I tried to start the engine and the starter wouldn't engage. It spins but won't engage the flywheel. So I said screw it and pulled the headers and put them in a box to ship to Jet Hot. Now I have to pull the starter and see WTH is wrong with it. It worked flawlessly up til today.
    After I posted the above, I removed the starter and used some jumpers to try to get it to work. I removed the solenoid to see if it was working and I couldn't get the plunger to move. I put the solenoid back on and everything worked fine....I figured maybe there was a grounding issue or something.

The starter has worked fine since then every time I started the engine. The other day I wanted to do a compression check for the hell of it and I put a remote starter button on the starter wires. The engine cranked a few times, then the starter failed again, but in a different mode. I thought it was the same failure until I read my post above. It would engage the gear, but the motor won't turn. I removed the starter again and hooked up jumper cables to it. It worked fine off the engine first try.

So I ordered a new solenoid. I'm going to re-install the starter and if it happens again I'm going to check the voltage at the motor terminal first while the gear is engaged. But both symptoms could be due to a bad solenoid.

The good news is that it seems like my XP PC is working good.....so far.....but I haven't messed with the engine very much.
    Last edited by chevynut; 06-09-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Well I think I found the starter problem.

I re-installed the starter and figured it would work for a while, like it did earlier, before I could further troubleshoot the problem. However, it failed first try. I thought that was strange since it worked first try off the engine.

So I hooked up my DVM and measured the voltage at the motor terminal of the solenoid while turning the key. The gear engaged, but it only measured around 150mV. Next I measured the solenoid battery connection and it was 12V. However, when turning the key and it measured the same 150MV. AHA! Bad connection at the positive battery terminal. I had been taking the negative terminal off of the battery when I removed the starter, and didn't bother to check to see if the positive connection was still tight. It wasn't. Duh.

At least now I have some practice removing and re-installing the starter, AND a spare solenoid.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:530
    Aint it great when it turns out to be the simplest thing? Of all the stuff I learn about troubleshooting, it's the simple things to start with. I keep telling myself "stop overanalyzing this". More than not, it turns out to be a simple oversight that causes me issues. Glad to hear yours worked out to be simple.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345