Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP, Gunny

Member #:2941

RIP, Gunny

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...at-age-74.html

Fair winds and following seas on your journey home, Gunny.

G-d speed and Semper Fi,

Harry
    Delta 1/4
    'G-d Bless The U.S.A.'...... Lee Greenwood......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5aoptI5j0

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Sad news always enjoyed his movies and show on the History channel.

Member #:3217
    Watching him (listening to him) in the movie(s) where he was a basic training drill instructor... would certainly take me back to basic training days.... .. awakening all those memories that we can smile about NOW... but not then!

Registered Member

Member #:3454
    RIP Gunny. I don't think anybody could have acted this part like he did unless they had lived it.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    RIP Gunny. I don't think anybody could have acted this part like he did unless they had lived it.
    I read he wrote some of his own lines, the real deal.

Registered Member

I bet he adlibbed some of them.

Member #:3611
    met him several years back at Bob's Big Boy Cruise Night in Tolucca Lake Ca, he was driving his black Cadillac with the Marine Corps logo painted on the hood, he was a real nice guy and would talk to you forever

RIP Gunny

Member #:2941
    I understand Gunny Ermey was a drill instructor (rank of Sergeant) at the time I went through boot camp at MCRD San Diego, summer of '66. Never met him, but I can tell you that yes, he was the real deal. And yes, much of what he portrayed in the movie was accurate. I would add uncomfortably accurate in a few instances, as we had 4 men in our training platoon of 98 men who did not graduate with us.

One man died of heat prostration doing calisthenics and rifle drill out on the grinder. Mass punishment. We were being punished because another guy had screwed up at formal personnel and rifle inspection. So we were all doing rifle drill, knuckle pushups and squat thrusts on the hot asphalt in our dress uniforms with our M14s clutched in our hands so they wouldn't touch the ground. Bloody knuckles and all that. Still have the scars. SOP in boot camp was that the entire platoon doing calisthenics was pushed to the point where one man would literally pass out. Then the DIs would get him up and around and continue PTing the rest of us until a 2nd man passed out. Then we would carry those who could not physically continue back to barracks or Sick Bay and double time it back to where we left off and continue. We didn't have any gold brickers in our platoon, but if we had of, they would have received a blanket party that evening much like was portrayed in the movie.

Another died by his own hand at the rifle range at Camp Pendleton in much the same way as portrayed in the movie except that we didn't have heads like that at the range, we had outdoor latrines. Took the range instructor at his word when he told us we had all better qualify with our M14 rifles and anyone who didn't had better save a round for himself. I was the one who found him. Will never forget that. I was sitting next to him on the ground telling him why he shouldn't have done it and not doing a very good job of scooping his brains into his helmet when our drill instructors found us there.

Another guy did well in boot camp, but was pulled aside and arrested by NIS the morning we were to graduate. Seems he was AWOL from the Army and decided the best place to hide out was in the Marine Corps. He was a good man. You could trust him with your back. I would have gladly served with him had they not pulled him out of graduation and taken him away in handcuffs.

4th man was my squad leader through much of boot camp. College athlete. Heck of a guy. Broke his leg a couple weeks before graduation. Knew he would have to repeat all 11 weeks of boot camp with another training platoon after getting well if he did not graduate (that's how it was back then), so had me splint it and did his best not to let them know. But after 3 days, it was swollen so bad we couldn't help him pull his trousers on without slitting his pant leg lengthways and he had to report to Sick Bay. I was assistant squad leader, so had to step up and take over as squad leader for the remainder of our time there before we graduated boot camp and went up to Camp Pendleton for ITR (Infantry Training Regiment).

That's why I get so angry when I hear these people talk about waterboarding as being some sort of inhumane 'torture'. Heck, we went through a lot worse than that on a daily basis just in boot camp. And even that didn't prepare us for what lay ahead in Nam.

Best regards to all,

Harry
    Last edited by enigma57; 04-17-2018 at 05:30 AM.
    'G-d Bless The U.S.A.'...... Lee Greenwood......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5aoptI5j0

Registered Member

Harry, thank you for your service. I was in the USAF from 66 to 70 and spent my last year in DaNang. I have to utmost respect for you guys that served in the Marines. You are cut from a different cloth. In 2014, I carried a 92 year old Marine from WWII in the back seat of my Olds in the Dallas Veterans Day Parade. His name is R.V. Bergen and he served in the Pacific. He received the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star. He wrote a book titled Island of the Damned and was part of the mini series The Pacific. He is still alive today but is getting a little too feeble to do another parade. He made me realize things about the Marines. They have a bond that none of the other branches of the military have. Semper Fi really means something to them. I still talk to Sgt. Bergen every 4 to 6 weeks. I have included a couple pictures. This was the neatest thing I have ever done with a car.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #:33
    he will be missed, R.I.P.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast