Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moser axles

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Thanks Rick. I'm getting a set of 4.10 thick for a 3 series carrier at no cost due to some screwups from the guy who first did the rear. Hope they aren't too noisy.

What order do things go in ... I need new axles and C clip eliminators (that take tapered bearings). Do I get the c clip eliminators first, then measure the bearings and get axles to fit? Does it matter if the axles have the C-clip end even if it's not being used? (somewhere I think I found stock axles to fit. (29 1/8") but of course I still have to know the bearing ID.)

And is Moser full of it when they say their c clip eliminators with BALL BEARINGS are good for street/strip. They also have tapered bearings but the claim they are only needed for dirt/mud racing.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:625
    A friend of mine who locally is a go to guy for building differentials and huge 12 bolt fan would agree with Rick. He likes to find decent used factory gears for restore guys. Not a fan of c-clip eliminators, never used them . 29 1/8 sounds like a first gen Camaro axle to me. 29.5 would be second gen Camaro or 68-72 Chevelle/ Monte.

Registered Member

I'm finally putting the things together, in my head anyway. After a phone call later I'll know a lot more if I can get housing ends that are longer, *and* be able to put tapered bearings in them, (my housing is actually 1" too short and tapered bearings are supposed to be good for street/strip). Found a retired guy who has cut and welded housing ends hundreds, maybe thousands of times and has the right setup to make them straight. He starts with a steel bar that gets bolted in with my carrier caps then a few things go on the ends to hold the ends straight. He's over 2 hours away and is willing to meet me 1 hour away to where he makes pickups often. He said he can make them longer if needed but it will cost a little more (so far he is as cheap as dirt). This would be a good time for me to cut my perches off and be able to get rid of the 2° shims. I've been told for stock suspension they should be at 7°. Anyone know if that is correct? It looks about right but the car is up the the air. Also I had bought an aluminum rear cover "girdle" that has the bolts to put pressure on the end caps. Is getting one drivers side steel end cap overkill? Actually I have a set of the aluminum ones from Strange but I'm not impressed with their thickness compared to stock cast ones. For being aluminum they aren't *that* much thicker than stock ones. .632 new to .487 factory. Although the factory ones also have a *hollow* in the outside center.. The ones from Strange mentions their ability to distort without breaking. Maybe I'm underestimating aluminum?

Oh, a big question. I believe I get the housing to how I want it and *then* order the axles, right? Might sound dumb but even dumber to do it wrong.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    Oh, a big question. I believe I get the housing to how I want it and *then* order the axles, right?
    Correct. First, I stuff the wheel/tire combo and set my inside and outside spacing. Then, with a tape measure, measure from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface, and that's the total width of the rear end, with the brakes mounted.
    Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    8-9 second drag race cars use 4340 "normalized" tubing. Wall thickness and construction must meet SFI specs.

Slower cars that require a cage can use 1020 mild steel tubing, wall thickness and construction must meet NHRA rules.
    About how fast are 8-9 second cars going in the 1/8?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Most of my cars work out about 1/8 X 1.56= 1/4 or 1/4/1.56=1/8

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    About how fast are 8-9 second cars going in the 1/8?
    As an example, on one pass, one of my street cars ran a 9.16 in the quarter, and 5.86 in the 1/8.
    Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bitchin'57 View Post
    I recommend going with Strange axles. I've used them on several cars, and never had an issue. And, there will be no guessing game as to who makes them, and the quality of them.
    Strange tells me they don't make the axles I need?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

I have had good luck with Toms KA axles they fit splines better than many others I have seen.

Registered Member

Shit, now I have to wait until Monday to call them again (Toms). I am hoping his daughter will be able to find a set to fill my needs. They don't make them, they pull them off the shelf.

Question: Does the center shaft that goes through the spider gears still keep the axle from going in too far if I have eliminated the C-Clips? I'm trying to figure out how close my axle length needs to be, as in ... can it be a little short, just so the splines mesh completely?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast