Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Moser axles

Member #:3718
    The C-Clips don't stop the axle from coming in at all, whether they are there or not. I take it you're talking about the spider gear pin that is held in with the cap screw bolt? The ends of the axles shouldn't be touching that pin.

Member #:3718
    Oh and for the rear end width, etc - take a look at S&W Race cars site - I think they have a downloadable form (pdf) that shows you what measurements are needed for ordering a custom sized third member. You don't have to get it from them but the form made it simple to get the right information for whoever builds it.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by chasracer View Post
    The C-Clips don't stop the axle from coming in at all, whether they are there or not. I take it you're talking about the spider gear pin that is held in with the cap screw bolt? The ends of the axles shouldn't be touching that pin.
    I realize that, the pin kept the axles from coming in. The c-clips kept them from going out.
    Now with the c-clip eliminator the axles are somewhat shorter, how much shorter can they be? Just long enough to engage all of the splined parts?
    The hardest part for me is to figure the bearing seat offset?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    I realize that, the pin kept the axles from coming in. The c-clips kept them from going out.
    Now with the c-clip eliminator the axles are somewhat shorter, how much shorter can they be? Just long enough to engage all of the splined parts?
    The hardest part for me is to figure the bearing seat offset?
    Bearing seat offset? If in regards to ordering specific disc brakes, it will be the distance from axle face (where rotor contacts) to the edge of the seat (at axle), much the same as what is done with a 9". In general, when assembled, distance from the outer end of housing end to face of axle.
    Last edited by NickP; 05-18-2018 at 06:01 AM.

Registered Member

Here is where I got the terminology. Dimension "O".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Since you bought Toms ends for impala axles and are ordering his axles designed for same its all good. His axles for non clip application have plenty of spline and may be trimmed to fit if necessary.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Since you bought Toms ends for impala axles and are ordering his axles designed for same its all good. His axles for non clip application have plenty of spline and may be trimmed to fit if necessary.
    Not that I'm trying to make this more difficult than it is, but Tom is gone and his daughter doesn't know a whole lot about the business. From what she told me, she had been working in the warehouse for a while before her father passed away but doesn't know a whole lot more than pulling parts. She does know some and is learning a little but she referred me to the axle order form. I think I'm going to bolt the brakes on with an old axle and drum and try to get some measurements. I spoke to her mother when I ordered the ends, but now the daughter sounded like she is the only one there?
    By the way, how would I cut one shorter? With a grinder cut off wheel and be sure to keep it cool?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Tony, I was nervous about that myself buy a buddy of mine said my band saw would do nicely and it did. So well I kept the piece I cut off to show people. I was cutting on the 35 spline ones too.

Registered Member

Edit: I decided to hold off on what I wrote until I get a reply and refund for my axles.
    Last edited by 55 Tony; 05-31-2018 at 04:47 AM.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234