Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Handling with slicks

Registered Member

Member #:2764

Handling with slicks

I have a bunch of threads started but I would please like to keep this thread on track about slicks and only slicks. These are the slicks I bought: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOO-18140
    They are a medium compound tire that can be run without inner tubes. Problem is that they get hard to handle when I pick up a little speed, swaying side to side. I've read that inner tubes can help, but do they help a lot?!. With the price of the inner tubes about the same as the slicks I'd like to know what I'm buying before I do it. I'm also going to try adding 2 more psi of air to see if it helps. Also would like to know if there are tubes that don't require drilling the valve stem hole larger, or does someone make larger valve stems if these wheels where someday to be used with street tires again?
    As far as these slicks sticking, last weekend doing my burnout for less time than normal friggen launched me up to be staged!
    Thanks
    Last edited by 55 Tony; 04-03-2018 at 08:31 AM.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:571
    These are always going to be a bit spooky as far as driving on the street. More air pressure will help.

They will also be a HUGE handful in the rain.

You really need to run regular tires on the street, and just run these at the track.

The only reason to run tubes is if they leak, and most will.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I run Mickey Thompson 2 sets with tubes 1 without. The without leaks down fairly quick. No big deal because I NEVER let a car with slicks sit overnight unless it is jacked up. I find my 60 foot times are just as good with 15/16 pounds as 10/12 pounds, However my handling is much more stable with more air. I remember the time we turned a friend of mines son loose with my BBC Camaro on the 1/4, we suggested a 1/2 track pass. He responded with a 10 something. He told his Dad that old Camaro was more stable in the 1/4 than Dads CJ Mustang in the 1/8. FYI I remove front sway bars from my Camaros. I have been caught in the rain at race track and can tell you for a fact6 that slicks and rain very dangerous. It is all but impossible to even get a car on the trailer.

Registered Member

First, like I said, they are advertised as not needing tubes and they haven't leaked any for me. Yes, I knew I couldn't drive them on the street, although I did do a couple miles and yes they were worse than on the track and at the track they were bad. On the street I had to fight to keep it straight going only 60mph. I now know that it isn't only rain that makes them dangerous on the road. Lucky for me the track is just over a mile away on back roads so I do drive it there with the slicks. Top speed maybe 30mph. I'll try the tubes and add baby powder like I've heard. Reading how a little spin of the tire on the wheel can easily tear a stem off, I'm going to take the glue approach. Permatex red sticky gasket stuff seems to be the favorite but I have some contact glue that is a lot stronger. Could be tricky keeping it off were there is contact with the tube.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

When I was young I bought some brand new Supertricks for my 67 SS350 and could not bring myself to drilling them. This was a bad plan as spun the slick on the rim and the tube wadded up creating a sever imbalance at high speed. The slick did not go flat, I went back to pits visually inspected car, found nothing out of place and then made a another pass. Same issue, this time we jacked car up and went through gears and found issue. Next step here comes the drill and screws.

Registered Member

I had put a paint mark on both tires/wheels to see if they spun, and they didn't. So I'll try the glue method as an extra safety measure.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

What are you going to do when you want to take those tires off the rim if you glue them? What's wrong with screws?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    What are you going to do when you want to take those tires off the rim if you glue them? What's wrong with screws?
    According to what I read, they come off easy. The tacky gasket spray is tacky enough to keep them from slipping but can you really imagine it holding so hard that you can't break the beak with a tire machine? Here you go since this is new to you and you don't know how to use google. Just hover your pointer (moving it with your mouse or other method) and click on this link. Then click on the other links. It's not very difficult.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=glui...firefox-b-1-ab
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Absolutely nothing its been proven to work by tens of thousands of racers for the last 50 or 60 years.

Registered Member

Permatex Hi Tack isn't going to do anything other than make a mess. The bond strength doesn't even come close to what screws provide. And yes it won't challenge a tire machine. If Permatex Hi Tack works, I'd have to venture that doing nothing works on the same application. I thought you would be proposing something substantial, not Hi Tack.

Right now, your weak combo probably doesn't need any help in this area, especially with an automatic trans.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 04-03-2018 at 08:15 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast