Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks

Thread: It makes me wonder?

Registered Member

Member #:2764

It makes me wonder?

I don't go to that other site much on purpose, and I even agreed that we shouldn't talk about them so much, but I was looking for something and saw this thread. For some reason one of the moderators closed the thread. Why? My only guess is that one of the mods is really, really hot for the OP? What other reason could it be? A simple disagreement, no one being rude or anything.
    https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167554
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:571
    There was no comment, no reason at all given for closing the thread. There was a difference of opinion, but nobody was rude. On other sites, it might have gotten shut down because the OP was advertising without being a sponsor, but I didn't think they did that there. Even if he might have been, he didn't give a business name or contact info.

So who knows? The OP may be right, and his method may help marginal stuff, but most people install and forget, and if set up correctly the gears are fine.

Member #:115
    Pretty much what that jackass did on Facebook. Just control freaks doing their thing. I won’t participate on a site that does that.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    IDK, I didn't see it when it happened and just thought I'd share what I now suppose all of you know already anyway. It just struck me as extra odd when I read it and saw it was closed. I'd guess they were protecting the OP from the replies saying it's mostly bullshit. If it was considered advertising I'd think he would have removed the post. (I don't recall that poster and didn't know he runs a business)
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:115
    IMO you don't shut down a conversation because you don't like what's being said, or to "protect" anyone. If something is bullshit or not, let it be debated. On the Trifive Nomads Only FB page the owner posted a pic of a 57 Nomad with "patina" (rust and crappy paint) and asked what people thought of it. I'm assuming he expected everyone to say how cool it looked but there were several people who said it looked bad and needed a paint job. I don't think anyone got out of line but he closed the post to more comments. So I said "I guess you stop allowing comments when you don't like what's being said. I left Trifive.com for this very reason and won't tolerate locking posts, editing posts, or any other form of censorship." or something to that effect. Immediately I got blocked from the site, so I sent the owner a PM telling him where to shove it. I don't need crap like that and it's not a big loss to me. I often wonder why these guys put up these FB pages.....I assume they get money for the ads. I won't support a guy like that.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I often wonder why these guys put up these FB pages.....I assume they get money for the ads. I won't support a guy like that.
    I have several pages on FB, all subject matter is photography and I receive no funds nor have I ever been approached for the purpose of advertisement. I'd be very leery to do so.

Member #:3718
    I believe a lot of things happen on that forum that don't exactly make a lot of sense to me but I keep telling myself, it's just me probably that doesn't get the "bigger" picture. One of the issues I have with it is the fact that just like a lot of the JDM forums there is a lot of bad information floating around. Some of it doesn't really matter all that much but then again when someone is seeking a straight-forward answer to a concern or question and they end up getting a response that quite frankly simply doesn't even make sense, it's annoying to me. A few months ago there was a lady that had a nice car and she requested some maintenance advice about it. Her husband had passed away and she wanted to make sure that the car had the proper care. Wow - they came out of the woodwork on that one. As I read through the replies, I was just thinking how would anyone that maybe had very little automotive knowledge make heads or tails out of it? On the T-5, there is one moderator there that seems to think he owns it - maybe he does - but if someone is sprouting off about something and I know damn good and well that they are wrong, I have been sent private mail telling me to back off with my comments. Why is okay for someone else to give out misleading or bad information but not okay to correct them?
    The problem is not the problem.
    The problem is your attitude about the problem.
    Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Why is okay for someone else to give out misleading or bad information but not okay to correct them?
    Well it's not right. And if I was participating on a site like that I'd be gone, or at least choose to limit my posts. I occasionally read forums where I see misinformation. If it's consistent I don't go back.

Thing is the thread that Tony posted about didn't really have bad misinformation, just some disagreement, and it was civil. I posted there and you did too. Who knows, maybe the OP requested that the thread should be closed, and someone obliged.

I will say this, Otis used to close threads where there was heated disagreement, maybe one or two posters were behaving badly. Rather than scolding them or deleting (part) of their posts, he'd just close it. But the discussion wasn't over - there were questions to be asked and answered still, and the discussion could have gone on because the OP hadn't solved his problem yet.