Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Brake ID Help Needed

Member #:516

Brake ID Help Needed

Hello All,

I picked up some drop spindles and disk brake conversion parts from a really nice guy in Elk Grove Ca. today, he has two beautiful '57's a 2 dr Wagon and a 2 dr HT. Anyway I need some help identifying them. I believe the calipers are the GM Metric (78ish Monte Carlo). I don't know if the rotors are from the same or not. I'm not sure where the booster is from and also need help sourcing a master cylinder to go with them. If anyone recognizes the spindle that would help too. See pics below and thanks for any help!!

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Registered Member

Member #:571
    What you have appears to be a McGaughy spindle. It uses "metric" calipers and rotors.

The booster appears to be an aftermarket dual diaphragm booster, probably 8" but not sure.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    If I remember my days in the junk business correctly there are 3 G body metric rotors 78, 79-80 and 81-88.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Could be, but I've always seen 79-82 or 79-84 as the ones to use with the McGaughy and Heidts spindles (as well as some others). At some point as the years advanced they used metric lug studs. The same might have happened with the calipers - use of metric threads on the banjo bolt and even the pins. You can make any of this work, you just have to realize what your fasteners and other threads are.

Member #:516
    Thanks Guy's I thought that's what they were, I remember my mom's 78 Monte Carlo and they look very familiar.