Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mecum Nomad Auction

Member #:516
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    LOL! You and a couple of others here are stuck back in the 60's and can't seem to pull your heads out of ... that era. Times change and tastes change. Most guys want a restomod classic, not an original car or one that's still using 60's technology. They want "updated" but "old" styling and all the comforts and power. Carbs are out as are 15" wheels.

Attachment 8812

Attachment 8813
    Cnut, I don't want a a trifive that runs on a computer, and has a corvette suspension (restomod) if that's what I wanted I'd buy a Corvette (or a Mustang like my wifes) I'm gathering parts to "update" my '55 for safety and reliability, newer engine, power disk brakes, power steering, ect ect. What I want is that feeling that I had when I was a kid driving this car all over the west. I want to enjoy the old times from the past. I don't have the money or time to do what you're doing with yours. I wish you'd stop putting the people that have different tastes, ability, and money down!

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    Cnut, I don't want a a trifive that runs on a computer, and has a corvette suspension (restomod) if that's what I wanted I'd buy a Corvette (or a Mustang like my wifes) I'm gathering parts to "update" my '55 for safety and reliability, newer engine, power disk brakes, power steering, ect ect. What I want is that feeling that I had when I was a kid driving this car all over the west. I want to enjoy the old times from the past. I don't have the money or time to do what you're doing with yours. I wish you'd stop putting the people that have different tastes, ability, and money down!
    So to you it's okay for these guys to bash cars that aren't like yours or theirs, but when I point out it's not what most people want today that's bad? Read the post by Tony that started all of this. The FACT is most guys nowadays want modern drivetrains, suspensions, and comforts.....cars that look classic but have modern performance and features. That's why there's so many new frames and upgrades on the market. That's why guys like Kindigit, Foose, and many others are making big bucks. Anyone can slap together a stock car and make it run. Some of you guys want to "go back" to your youth....I want a cool car that drives like a new one. Just don't badmouth my choices.
    Last edited by chevynut; 12-19-2018 at 02:38 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    So to you it's okay for these guys to bash cars that aren't like yours or theirs, but when I point out it's not what most people want today that's bad? Read the post by Tony that started all of this. The FACT is most guys nowadays want modern drivetrains, suspensions, and comforts.....cars that look classic but have modern performance and features. That's why there's so many new frames and upgrades on the market. That's why guys like Kindigit, Foose, and many others are making big bucks. Anyone can slap together a stock car and make it run. Some of you guys want to "go back" to your youth....I want a cool car that drives like a new one. Just don't badmouth my choices.
    I read this post CN and I don't disagree but dont fully agree either.

Theres no right or wrong or standard on what guys want. Its individual taste. The word "Most" probably could be avoided and replaced by "Many". Resto-mods remain a strong trend but its tempered. The stuff that Kindig and Foose do is amazing, outrageous and intended to attract attention. Each incredible build needs to be surpassed by the next build and the TV factor is strong.

Also, how much is the desire for modern components a result of convenience? It sure is easy to log on, go to Jegs, click a few times and have a GM crate in the garage in a week. Morrison frame? Point click, pick your stuff and it will be here before you know it. BTW, I won't click on that crate engine- I build my own. Why incur the ridiculous cost of self-building? Because I will always care more than the guy getting paid to throw one together for some nameless customer.

The hobby will always be about individuality, capability, availability and budget. And like politics guys will always strongly argue their position and complain when someone disagrees.

Even you right? How many times have you taken the opportunity to bash guys running carbs rather than FI?

Its ok, but remember the door swings both ways. There is room at the table for traditional hot rodders, resto modders, restorers and guys running carbs.

Scorp

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    Looks like a lot of original restorations and resto mods at Barret Jackson next month, including the green 56 nomad wanderer on Saturday Jan 19
    https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...N-WAGON-225992

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1110 View Post
    I read this post CN and I don't disagree but dont fully agree either.

Theres no right or wrong or standard on what guys want. Its individual taste. The word "Most" probably could be avoided and replaced by "Many". Resto-mods remain a strong trend but its tempered. The stuff that Kindig and Foose do is amazing, outrageous and intended to attract attention. Each incredible build needs to be surpassed by the next build and the TV factor is strong.

Also, how much is the desire for modern components a result of convenience? It sure is easy to log on, go to Jegs, click a few times and have a GM crate in the garage in a week. Morrison frame? Point click, pick your stuff and it will be here before you know it. BTW, I won't click on that crate engine- I build my own. Why incur the ridiculous cost of self-building? Because I will always care more than the guy getting paid to throw one together for some nameless customer.

The hobby will always be about individuality, capability, availability and budget. And like politics guys will always strongly argue their position and complain when someone disagrees.

Even you right? How many times have you taken the opportunity to bash guys running carbs rather than FI?

Its ok, but remember the door swings both ways. There is room at the table for traditional hot rodders, resto modders, restorers and guys running carbs.

Scorp
    HEAR HEAR!! Outstanding post Scorp...

Cnut, Never bad mouthed your build you're building a very nice car. It's just that you always rant about carburetors, old suspensions, old school stuff. Some of us like that, some don't. When I go to shows around here (NORCAL) Good guy's, Billet Proof, local shows I see far more cars like what I want then what you're building. I think people like nostalgia and can't afford a build like yours. I love the look of gassers, but I can't come to building mine like that. I say build what you want and don't criticize and put down ours.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I personally get really tired of people bashing each other's preferences, no matter what they are. Or telling me who likes what the most. Or criticizing a vehicle that's obviously well crafted but not your style. Like your stuff? Great, but don't tell me I have to like it. Goes both ways, as proved right here in this thread.

Member #:530
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I personally get really tired of people bashing each other's preferences, no matter what they are. Or telling me who likes what the most. Or criticizing a vehicle that's obviously well crafted but not your style. Like your stuff? Great, but don't tell me I have to like it. Goes both ways, as proved right here in this thread.
    Amen brutha.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:3360
    You kids play nice or Santa's going to bring you some coal.

Quote Originally Posted by bigblock View Post
    You kids play nice or Santa's going to bring you some coal.
    If I get some coal that would be great!!! I never get anything.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast