Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Measuring axle length

Registered Member

Member #:2764

Measuring axle length

I'm F'ed
    Last edited by 55 Tony; 05-22-2018 at 11:31 AM.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    I'm trying to get the proper axles from Toms so I had the daughter try putting the bearing I got with the weld on ends, and she said it slipped on the axle all the way by hand. She said it wobbles a little but I'm not sure is she means the outer part of the bearing is wobbling or the inner race is wobbling? I did also ask it she thinks the with 3 pieces of paper strips on the axle, if the bearing would still go on, and she said probably not. Does this sound like the right axle?

On the web site it says "axles for weld on end kits", but doesn't say for *what* weld on end kits. I'm just hoping it's for his.
    Slips on! Yikes. Is this still going to be a C-Clip retention? If not, call the seller/supplier and let them know you have a possible issue.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    Slips on! Yikes. Is this still going to be a C-Clip retention? If not, call the seller/supplier and let them know you have a possible issue.
    No c-clips with Olds bearing ends.

Registered Member

How long were your old axles. Is the housing the same width now.

Registered Member

I'm left to half ass put this together using a different bearing that does get pressed onto the axle and then adding a shim of sorts because the other bearing isn't as wide. Either that or buy new ends again, pull the rear again, take it to get the new ends welded on again and put it back together again. F me.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    None with a 9" however the OP isn't building either.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    None with a 9" however the OP isn't building either.
    What does a 9 inch have to do with it. He is building a 12 bolt with aftermarket axle ends that use press on bearings. You pro0babally newer knew that GM made 10 and 12 bolts that newer had c-c clips. For example my sisters 77 Cutlass has an 8.5 10 bolt without them.
    Last edited by markm; 05-22-2018 at 01:58 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    No, it's 1" wider to center the wheels.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

To make things worse, I put my new cover on too early and it's "glued" so I don't want to take it off. Can anyone tell me how much room there is between the splined gears and the center rod? 1/2"?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Well I lucked out ... in a way. I won't even say what axles I got since at least someone will say they are crap, but they fit perfect into the sort of unknown new housing ends. Drove it the past two days with the new 4.10 gears. Compared to the 3.42 gears, it goes like a r*ped ape but that's just with street tires so far. Today before it got to hot out and the tranny wasn't too hot either, no doubt about it, a nice loud chirp in 3rd! Only did it once though. Sort of breaking in the gears my way, giving it a little of everything before putting the slicks on. Oh, they are Richmond gears and I can't hear any whine at all. Maybe I did something right, or maybe I got lucky? I have some other work to do and if the weather holds out tomorrow, I hope to go to the track with slicks.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast