Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: 12 bolt axle retainers

Registered Member

Member #:2764

12 bolt axle retainers

Received my parts from Tom's Diff. today.

First off, do all c clip eliminators/axle retainers require removing the locking collar to change the grease/gear lube seal/bearings?

Second, I guess I have to bring my brakes/backing plate to the shop who presses on the retainer?

Third, how do I know, with my crappy caliper, what size axle size I need for the retainer to fit properly? I'm measuring the locking collar at about 1.553"

Also the locking collar outside dimension is only .030" wider than the new housing end?

Do I have these parts in the proper order? I realize the backing plate can go on and off without the seal and bearing. I think I have something mixed up for the locking collar to be only .030" wider than the housing end. What am I missing (besides an axle)?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

OK, now I think I got it. Swap the press on collar and the housing end.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

I'm picking up my housing with the new ends on it today and hope to be "breaking it in" soon. Maybe 50 miles if I can go that far without seeing how it responds to the 4.10 gears. The guy who welded the ends on said the tubes weren't welded straight, it was almost 1/4" off. He fixed that. That's one more thing the other guy screwed up. That may have been the reason for my one axle to be worn from the bearing. When I get home again I plan on cleaning the inside with a pressure washer then putting it together. Wish me luck.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Tony, I really hate to be the one to rain on your parade but my first of many 1974 Z28s[TH400] gained little going from 3.42 to 410 at the old Lawrence dragstrip . On the other hand my second one with a BW Super T-10 and 3.42 would really like them. My most recent one with a Th400 went from 4.56 12 bolt to 4.10 Dana with no change in ET, however it has a TCI race convertor. I would stop by the car wash and use degrease setting and warm water on the housing.

Registered Member

Well I got the gears for free from the F-up that did the rear the first time. I'll just have to wait and see how it goes. Either way it's not much time wasted since my one axle was twisted and the other one the bearing was wearing the axle, and the housing tubes were not true to the pinion. Also I won't need 1/2" spacers to center my tires (went down to 1/4" with the slicks). I was supposed to return the 3.46 gears to him, but F- him, the axles being off 1/4" is just one more thing wrong that he did, the straw that broke MY back. He will be lucky if I don't slam him good in a couple online ratings websites. Good call on the car wash, warm is better than cold. Then measure for the new axles.

I can't imagine how hard it would have been to get the c clip off the twisted axle if I had done a few more 1/8 miles. What do they do? Take a torch to it? Or maybe a few more passes and it would have broke?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe