Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Least Favorite Job.

Member #:615

Least Favorite Job.

This week I did my least favorite job on a trifive chevy. I replaced the gas tank in my ’57 wagon. I had to removed the drive shaft, move the rear end housing forward and unhook the wire and fuel line while laying on a concrete floor and working over head. I also replaced the sender with a new Danchuk sending unit.
    I had been hesitant to drive it much lately because it had been “running out of gas” occasionally when I knew it still had several gallons left. There was a lot of rust in the tank. I went through this in the 1980s. Funny, it was a lot easier back then.
    While I had it in my shop I decided to fix a few more things I have been putting off. I replaced my rusty battery box, put on new tail gate cables and upper steering column bearing.
    A while back I saw a photo of a wrecked classic car with a wooden steering wheel. The steering wheel bent and the wood broke into long sharp daggers. I decided to replace my wooden steering wheel. I installed an original ’60 Impala wheel like my wife has on her ’56 convertible. It more matches the style of my Corvair bucket seats and ’63 impala console.
    Now I am ready to get back to driving my car.

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    sounds good. --------------> what you do after lunch?
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:115
    At least your "might as wells" didn't result in a frame-off.

Sometimes it feels good to just dive into a dreaded job and get it done. My truck has a bad fuel level sender and I have to remove the bed to install it. I'm dreading that job.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:530
    Great update Tabasco. Nice to see you wrenching in the garage...even though some of these tasks are unpleasant. You made progress, and that's sayin' something.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:3018
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    At least your "might as wells" didn't result in a frame-off.

Sometimes it feels good to just dive into a dreaded job and get it done. My truck has a bad fuel level sender and I have to remove the bed to install it. I'm dreading that job.
    Unless the duramax bed is much different than a 1500 bed they come off pretty easy (I'm sure a 5th wheel will make it a little more complicated if you have one). I pulled the bed on my 1500 to replace a fuel pump last year because I had a full tank, glad I went that route, it was pretty easy.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    With some type of lift, even an engine hoist (2 ton so it sticks out further) it shouldn't be too bad. In my 3500 van I put up with a bad fuel gauge for a long time, one day I was stopped on a steep part of my driveway for a while and it ran out of gas. I had to coast back to where it's almost flat with a trailer on the back and no power brakes. I still put up with it. Then one day it wouldn't start. Found out if I gave it a little gas in the intake it would start and start again as long as it was still warm. Found out that was due to low fuel pressure. Changed the pump and all was well, for a week anyway, then the fuel gauge quit working again. *%^#%^#$&(*^)(&*I&^
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:3249
    I always seem to put off doing the jobs I detest, but always find out it wasn't as bad as I kept telling myself, and felt proud when I worked my way thru it. I'm sure you will be happy with the new tank now that it's installed. I still remember helping a friend put on in his 55 wagon. He fought moving the rear end, even though we knew it had to be done that way. Fortunately, we did the job on my lift.........made the job easier.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Everyone told me how easy it was to pull fuel pump with the bed off on my GMC, they lied it was no help.

Registered Member

Member #:3018
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Everyone told me how easy it was to pull fuel pump with the bed off on my GMC, they lied it was no help.
    Hmm, what year? Mine is 1999 (New body style) should be the same as the 03, I'm pretty sure they were just facelift in the front with some different engine options.. I just lifted up and it was right behind the cab on the drivers side, dropped it in from the top, reconnected the lines and then I bolted the bed back down.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Safari View Post
    Hmm, what year? Mine is 1999 (New body style) should be the same as the 03, I'm pretty sure they were just facelift in the front with some different engine options.. I just lifted up and it was right behind the cab on the drivers side, dropped it in from the top, reconnected the lines and then I bolted the bed back down.
    1987 GMC V1500 1/2 ton 4x4 fuel sender is under cab.
    Last edited by markm; 05-24-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast