Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brake conversion

Registered Member

Member #:3810

Brake conversion

I about to convert my brake system on my 57 Belaire. I want front power disc and rear drum. Any ideas on what products to use and best prices and service. Thanks, Craig

Member #:1653
    Budget?

Member #:115
    Avoid the disc brake conversions based on the 68-72 Chevelle rotors as they move the wheel mounting surfaces out by 7/8" per side. These tend to cause tire rubbing problems on lowered cars while turning if the wheel offset isn't corrected to account for the wider mounting width. There are better solutions out there that don't move the wheels out nearly as much.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

2 grand

Quote Originally Posted by craig j View Post
    2 grand
    Present front suspension modifications to include wheel/tire if any? Wheel size (diameter) now or will be bart of overall package?

Registered Member

I have 18" rims all around. this work for brakes only, I'll convert to power steering at a later date.

Quote Originally Posted by craig j View Post
    I have 18" rims all around. this work for brakes only, I'll convert to power steering at a later date.
    So, presently no dropped spindles or other modifications to your front suspension? Any plans to do so later?

Registered Member

All I intent to do later is add power steering.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Since you are in to the gang banger look you need to listen to the king of gang banger look Cnut not me. normal cars with 15 inch wheel do fine with Camaro/ Chevelle stuff.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Everyone is beating around the bush here as far as giving you much in the way of facts.

The "baseline" conversion uses 11" Chevelle/Camaro rotors and calipers on the stock spindles. As said, the Chevelle rotor pushes the wheel outboard by 7/8" which may be a tire rub concern.

A similar conversion that won't push the wheels out is a "zero offset" kit for stock spindles. It uses a separate hub, usually one from a 61-68 full size Chevy, a "hat" type rotor usually the rear rotor for a 79 TransAm, and the Chevelle/Camaro calipers. It's an 11" rotor.

A higher end conversion for stock spindles is a Wilwood setup. They offer them with 11", 12", and 13" rotors, and either 4 piston or 6 piston fixed calipers.

Dropped spindles don't use the Chevelle rotors. The baseline package is 10.5" Malibu rotors and calipers. You can get upgrades for the Heidts and Ridetech spindles, but some of the others can't be upgraded.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast