Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: My Wife's '56

Member #:3217
    It's looking very good, Tabasco! Your wife is going to be driving in style very soon!!

Member #:615
    I haven't posted any updates lately. I haven't done much to the car lately. My wife was still working when the covid-19 thing started. Her job was calling on grocery stores. The stores just got more and more crowded so she decided to take two weeks off until the "lowering of the curve" took place. By then our state started opening up some and the stores were more crowded, so she took off two more weeks. Well she liked time off so much that she just decided to retire. So now I'm stuck...I mean now I'm privileged to be sheltering in place with my wife.

We have caught up on a lot of maintenance items around the place. We had a lot of rain this spring so we were behind on our mowing. It takes a lot of time to mow 20 acres. When it rains often you have to mow nearly every week.

But I have started working on the car again. Now I have full-time helper for things I can't do by myself. When I started this post 2 years ago I had recently retired. I said I hoped to get it finished soon. Well, now that my wife has retired, I hope to get the car done soon.

I got a little done on the car this week. We installed the windshield. Then I polished all the stainless around the windshield. (There is a lot of windshield stainless on a convertible.)

The hard part was installing the nuts on the studs on the clips for the outside lower molding. The nuts are installed from under the dash. With an AAW Update wiring harness, Rain Gear Wipers and Vintage Air it was hard to see the studs and harder to get my hand in there. But I got it done.

Then I polished up all the chrome pieces that bolt on to the windshield frame and top frame and installed them.

The next thing is to get the top frame and windows adjusted. I have been told that is not always easy. When you adjust one area it changes another area. Everything has to be right for it to work and look correct. Hopefully it will go well.

AS long as each week there's a little progress, it will get finished Tabasco!

There's lots of stainless on hardtops and Nomads also, in fact, I think the amount of stainless increased each year on each model! The '57 Nomad I'm working on has a TON of stainless also!

What color top are you installing? Beige? Are you doing it yourself? I've got a '60 Corvette that a new top needs to be installed on also; I'm planning on *trying* it myself although I've never done one... but I've got lots of other work to do first! (like remove the windshield to install a new dash pad and windshield seals...

We will look at some color samples before deciding on a top. Most beige tops I have seen are darker than our paint. Will probably go with white. I think we will let the pros do the install. Since the Corvette top is smaller that might not be so hard to install. Good luck with it.

That's what I was thinking (re installing my Corvette top)... at least I'll learn something, even if I have to get a pro to fix it..

Good luck with yours! We're all looking forward to seeing photos of yours complete (especially your wife I bet?)..

Gary

Member #:4399

Looking Good!!!

Know I am kinda new around here, but wanted to say the car is looking great. It is both inspiration and intrepidating to us newbies.

Wishing all the best with wife's new retirement too.

We got a little more done. Front fenders are installed and adjusted. Installed the headlights and park lights and got them wired up. Installed the grill and bumper. The pile of parts to install is getting smaller.

56 grille.jpg

The drive shaft shop told me to assemble the car to get weight on the suspension like it will be when completed before measureing for the drive shaft. It is getting closer to that weight.

We're about as anxious as you and your wife are Tabasco... .. to see it completed and driving..
    What we've seen is beautiful...

I can't believe it has been a year and a half since I posted any updates. The older I get the slower I get and I get older every year. Now that this is again a website about cars I thought I would let y'all know some of the things we have done since I last posted here.

The car is completely assembled except for the hood.

20210919_103152.jpg

In my original post I said this all started because of needing a new radio. I was going to build a console for a double din radio. Since then I have become addicted to SiriusXM radio. So I just bought a cheap AM/FM and an in-car kit to use my SiriusXM shop radio in the car. I made a mini console to hold it. We put in new Daytona carpet.

I put gauges in the dash where the radio used to go.

20220108_152510[3925].jpg

I'll post more later on what progress we have made.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast