Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: My Wife's '56

Member #:615
    Yesterday I bolted the engine and transmission together. Today my wife and I installed them into the car. Everything went well. I still need to drill the holes for the transmission mount. Since it is a convertible that isn't going to be easy. Now would be a nice time to have a lift. My wife told me to get one. Currently I have parts of this car scattered through-out both of my buildings. I don't have room for a lift now. Maybe soon.

This what the transmission mount looks like.

19-158.jpg

Since I used 3/4 inch forward engine mounts I will have to make a spacer and longer bolts for the transmission mount. But the HEI distributor fits okay.

Also because the engine is forward I may be able to use a traditional trans dipstick tube after all. I checked the inventory on my engine/transmission rack. I have a TH 350 and that dipstick looks about right. I just have to uncover it and see.

The engine came with a chrome timing chain cover and a chrome timing tab installed. I'm not sure how to how to read the numbers on the balancer when they are covered up by the tab.

Untitled.jpg

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    The engine came with a chrome timing chain cover and a chrome timing tab installed. I'm not sure how to how to read the numbers on the balancer when they are covered up by the tab.

Untitled.jpg
    Just a white line at zero will work fine, and another one were you want to check like where you want the full mechanical advance point to be.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    When your balancer is fully marked, you don't need the tab marked too. What I do when I have this situation is take my tin snips and cut up the tab, making it more of a pointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    When your balancer is fully marked, you don't need the tab marked too. What I do when I have this situation is take my tin snips and cut up the tab, making it more of a pointer.
    Thanks, I was thinking there was some way to use this. I believe I will try your idea.

55 RD that is good idea but you wouldn't be able to see the marks with the tab in the way. I think after I use Rick's idea I can then use yours also.

Thanks to you both for the help.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I been doing it that way since the 70s.

Member #:115
    The real problem is that pointer sticks way too far out to be of any use. It should have been attached all the way back closer to the the cover instead of having the big gap between it and the cover.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    That's why you trim it off.

Member #:115
    You shouldn't have to trim it off. Someone screwed up.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    You shouldn't have to trim it off. Someone screwed up.
    You are ABSOLUTELY right. Tabasco didnt pay to have to trim that pointer, and thats not even something you might modify for various fitment. Its just stupid lazy design combining parts randomly with no regard for the consumer.

Its 2019, the new mantra for business is " We understand what you want and will sell you exactly what we want; and you will accept it"

Scorp

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast