Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My Wife's '56

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Member #:615

My Wife's '56

When I posted about several maintenance items I was doing on my '57 wagon, Chevynut said "At least your "might as wells" didn't result in a frame-off." Well...that is because I already have another one under way on my wife's '56.

I decided to start a build thread. I have been working on my wife's car for a while. I was working a job until I retired the end of last year. Now I have more time to work on it and hope to finish it soon. I took pictures and made notes on progress so far. I thought I would share what led to this and what I have done.

My wife bought a ’56 convertible from a friend of ours on 1981. He had the car for a few years. He bought it without engine or transmission. Since it was originally 6 cylinder and power glide that’s what he put in it. It was never restored, but it did get a new paint job, new custom interior and a new top in about 1978. Everything else was original 1956 parts. Every spring I have to work on it to make sure everything is in working order for the summer cruise season.

One thing that needed fixing was that the radio quit working. You can’t cruise in a convertible without oldies music. Radios last us about 10 or 15 years. In the past I would go to the big box store or an auto supply and buy a new one with a knob on each side and the dial in the middle. With a homemade bracket I designed I could make it work in the dash. Now you can’t locally find universal radios with the two knobs. There are radios available on line that will fit the dash without modification, but for the same price I can buy a radio that has all the modern features we like in our new cars.

I didn’t want to cut the dash so I decided to build me a console to mount a new radio. It is hard to mount stereo speakers in a convertible, so I could mount a couple of speakers in the console too. Plus it would be nice to have cup holders.

I started to fabricate a pattern for a console. I did some planning, made a cardboard pattern that I liked. Then I made both sides from plywood, connected the sides with 1x2s. But for some reason it wouldn’t sit level. Then I realized that the problem was that the carpet pad for the 40 year old carpet was deteriorating. So I took out the seats and pulled up the carpet. I thought maybe I should just buy new carpet and new padding. The carpet was getting pretty faded. But if I buy new carpet it would look out of place with our 40 year old interior. So I guess we should plan on getting new interior.

The top was looking old and tired. Some of the stitching was coming lose. Maybe I should just get a new top while it is in the upholstery shop. But the old lacquer paint is showing its age and will need redone someday. If I get a new top then it would be hard to protect it during paint and body work. Maybe I should just paint it now.

So that is how a new radio turned into a frame of restoration.

The Before Picture

147954497.jpg

To be continued.

Member #:3217
    A pretty car as it was... (but I really like sierra gold / adobe beige cars)...

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    Isn’t it interesting how one thing leads to another? How far along are you in the restoration, Tabasco? Any current pictures?

I'm glad to see someone else using the old NNC design rollover frame....

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I'm glad to see someone else using the old NNC design rollover frame....
    It is not as versatile as a rotisserie but a whole easier to store. I just take it apart and lean it against the wall. I have had that since the 1980s. I didn't know who designed it, but I knew several guys who had one.

Outstanding Tobasco! It appears better than new....

I haven't had much to report on the car lately. I finished the last of the body work. That is not very exciting or photogenic. I bought some Slick Sand 4 weeks ago. Then we got a record hot July. I didn't want to spray that stuff when the temp in the shop started a out at 80 degrees and went up to over 100 before noon.

The temps got cooler this week and I sprayed the Slick Sand. I am now doing what I hope is the final few blocking sandings. I hope to get the car painted this fall and reassemble it over the winter. Then maybe we will be cruising next spring.

It looks like a super job from that one pix, Tabasco! and oh how I love sierra gold / adobe beige!!

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    looks good even before the frame off.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Registered Member

Member #:1800
    Quote Originally Posted by carls 56 View Post
    looks good even before the frame off.
    Agreed! Look forward to hearing more on your project!
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4 dr hardtop Bel Air Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige - Purchased July 5th, 2013
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan 210 Larkspur Blue/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased Aug 6th, 2012 (not running)
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan Bel Air Canyon Coral/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased June 30th, 2013 (not running)
    - 2017 Chevrolet SS Sedan - LS3 - TR6060 - Nightfall Grey Metallic - Purchased April 2017

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast