Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: My Wife's '56

Member #:615
    My internet service is working today so I thought I would let y'all know I'm still hard at work. The body is all painted and going back together. Today I do the last of my painting of the steering column, steering wheel and all the engine compartment parts..

Got my wiring harness this week and hope to start on it soon. I talked to Phoenix Transmissions this week and learned everything i need to know. The guy I talked to has a '56 with a small block and a Phoenix 700R4, so he should really be able to help me if I have any questions. It is almost time to order and engine and transmission.

So I don't have much to take pictures of, but there is ongoing progress. It will be on the road this year, hopefully in time for the AFTA Nationals.

Member #:530
    Go man, go! Stay with it...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

I'm working under the dash now. That is always fun I'm trying to figure the right order to put everything in so nothing interferes with anything else.

My wife was helping me re-install the original wiper drive and cables. She asked if there wasn't something better than that available. I told her about Raingear Wipers. She said "order it" so I did. Instructions were very good. It seems to be a good product.

I also ordered the new Vintage air kit. I just wanted to make sure all holes needed in the dash were open and see how much room it took up under the dash. Not the best instructions I have seen, but I'm sure I will figure it out. I won't start the actual install until all the wiring is done.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I also ordered the new Vintage air kit. I just wanted to make sure all holes needed in the dash were open and see how much room it took up under the dash. Not the best instructions I have seen, but I'm sure I will figure it out. I won't start the actual install until all the wiring is done.
    Good luck with the modification of the original heat controls. I had to throw away their potentiometer mounting bracket and make a new one.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:3217
    Tobasco! You're making great progress and looking good!

Ain't it great when the wife tells you to 'ORDER' those new parts you wanted?

It is nice that my wife is okay with me ordering all the stuff for the car. I think she believes that this is my last major car build and she wants me to have what I need. She plans to retire soon and there will be a little less money to pay for all the parts orders then. And I'm not getting any younger. This build is taking a lot longer than I expected.

I installed the Raingear wipers. Then I was ready to start on the AAW Classic Update wiring. I realized that it would be a lot easier to install the fuse box with the wipers removed. It was pretty easy to remove the wipers and reinstall later.

The first instructions for the fuse box install was to remove the lower hood hinge bolt from the left hinge and replace with a new 2 1/2 inch bolt. The new fuse box connects to that bolt extending under the dash. But I don't have my hinges installed. And I thought, if I install the hinge now with the fuse box connected to the new bolt, how do I adjust the hinge when I install the hood. And how would I replace the hinge if it broke or wore out. So instead of the new bolt that came with the kit, I used a threaded rod. I left about 1 inch on the engine side of the firewall to bolt the hinge on with a nut and washer. I think that AAW should have thought of this themselves.

Our new engine arrived yesterday. It is a Chevrolet crate engine. It has 350 cu. in., 357 horsepower, roller cam with vorteck heads. We got a complete package from the flex plate to the accessory drive. It has a Holley carburetor but don't tell Chevynut, he gets offended by carburetors. (Just kidding Laslo). It came with chrome air cleaner and chrome timing cover. I'll probably just add chrome valve covers to complete the package. We're not building a show car (been there, done that) we are building a cruiser. This should cruise along better than that old 235 and powerglide we have had all these years.

Member #:3217
    You bought your engine from Chevy, Tabasco? Do you mind providing the PN and whom you purchsaed it from? Sounds like a very nice package (for us Holley lovers).. .. and all the power this old guy wants/needs anymore...

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    You bought your engine from Chevy, Tabasco? Do you mind providing the PN and whom you purchsaed it from?

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines

Looks like he got this one....

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...0-357-turn-key

SP350-357 Tech Specs

• Part Number: 19367084
    • Engine Type: Chevy Small-Block V-8
    • Displacement (cu. in.): 350
    • Bore x Stroke (in.): 4.000 x 3.480
    • Block (P/N 10105123): Cast iron with 4-bolt main caps
    • Crankshaft (P/N 10243070): Nodular Iron
    • Connecting Rods (P/N 10108688): Powdered metal
    • Pistons (P/N 88894280): Cast aluminum
    • Camshaft Type (P/N 12677151): Hydraulic roller
    • Camshaft Lift (in.): 0.473” intake / 0.473” exhaust
    • Camshaft Duration (@.050 in.): 215° intake / 223° exhaust
    • Cylinder Heads: Cast iron; as cast with 64-cc chambers
    • Valve Size (in): 1.940 intake / 1.500 exhaust
    • Compression Ratio: 9.0:1 nominal
    • Required Fuel: Premium pump
    • Ignition Timing: 32º Total @ 4,000 rpm
    • Maximum Recommended rpm: 5600

You could always ditch that nasty carb and put a FI Tech EFI or Holley Sniper on it.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Better yet, an Edelbrock Pro Flow 4.