Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Checking in

Member #:115

Checking in

It's been over 2 1/2 years since I've posted here but I have been reading the posts now and then and following projects. I decided I got tired of the bs from about 3 of the members here and needed a break from their crap. It was longer than I thought.

A lot has happened since I left. The Nomad still isn't quite done yet, but it's getting closer all the time. The tedious assembly work isn't nearly as fun as the fabrication.

I also bought a house on an acreage in western Montana, and we have been going up there for 1-2 weeks at a time every 5-6 weeks to work on it, so that's been taking a lot of my time the past couple of years. It was an un-finished log home that was in foreclosure, and we bought it so we could get out of lib-infested Colorado. I thought we'd be there by now, but I don't have to sell the Colorado house and like the Nomad, the house is taking longer than expected to finish since I have to do it all myself. Nobody seems to have time to do anything for us. I don't have a shop at the house so I bought another house about 4 miles away with a 2300 SF shop on 2 acres. I rent out the house, and so far the shop is still empty. But it gives me a place to move my stuff to. We plan to move next year.

I shut down Classic Edge Designs after about 20 years of building C4 conversion frames. My last frame job was early in 2022 and we ended up building 113 projects, not all full frames though. I have a few guys guy interested in buying the business but haven't really gotten serious about selling it.

I also bought (partial trade for a C4 frame) a 62 Corvette with a numbers matching 340/327 and both tops, but haven't worked on it yet. I don't know if I'll live long enough for that. LOL!

Some of the last posts I made before my hiatus were concerning the HEMI55 floor installation, which I finished and finally got out of my shop. My Nomad was painted, but I ran into an issue and had to do some more work on it. I was so upset about it that I backed off of working on it and it cost me a 2-year delay in the project, but I did do a few things on it.

i finally got the issues addressed, the engine was running, and I addressed some final details on the chassis. I finally dropped the body onto the frame in early 2021 and have been working on assembly, which has been frustrating to say the least. I've had to buy most of the glass again, and after polishing around 40 of the stainless trim pieces I finally hired out a few pieces to a local guy. I got the engine wiring done and tried to start it again. It wouldn't start. I messed around with timing and ended up breaking the nose off the starter inside a Lakewood bellhousing with no access. I finally was able to fish it out with a camera and magnet. After troubleshooting a low fuel pressure problem I found the fuel hose on the pump had disintegrated. I replaced that and got it running. Then another fuel hose on the tank above the pump burst and poured fuel all over. It was a stainless braided hose from Summit and I have no idea why it blew out. I made a new one using Earle's hose and it's been running fine but makes me nervous.

I also had to have my liftgate re-chromed...AGAIN! The second time cost me almost $3K at Ogden Chrome. And they put so much copper on it that assembly was a nightmare. Madmook said my liftgate was really nice when he first got it, so it really didn't need much work.

I've run the engine several times to keep it oiled up but can't really do any tuning. Most of the wiring is finished except for a few details, and I ended up splitting my electric cutouts into two with separate controllers, because one would close and shut off before the other closed when it reached the end of travel.I got all the lights at the rear of the car working, which was a challenge with LED bulbs.

The glass was a nightmare, but it's now pretty much finished except for the windshield. The door glass seems tight and the motors struggle a little so I don't know if it's an adjustment problem or what. The power vent windows work fine.

I recently did some more work on the console, and after discussing it with my interior guy I modified it so it can be assembled inside the car instead of assembling it and trying to install it. My electronics, fuses, controllers, breakers, etc. are all on the base of the console so this really simplifies things.

My current project is assembling the front end sheetmetal. I took my 4 inner fender pieces to my painter and after a month he finally told me to come get them....he forgot to paint 2 of them. That's how things have been going.

Here's a few pics of where it is lately. I may update my final assembly build thread with some pics. Haters can keep their traps shut.

IMG_4832.jpeg

IMG_4830.jpeg

IMG_4188.jpeg

IMG_4189.jpeg
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    Good to have you back, Laszlo. Sounds like you’re having you challenges on the Nomad. Keep at it!

Member #:227
    good to hear from you finally....... welcome back,hopefully to stay

Member #:3217
    about time we got our ChevyNut back! Thanks Lazslo for a great 'coming back' post and catching us up! Tell us your issues and maybe one of us can help you, as you've helped me and others over the years..

PS. The car is looking good.... I've always loved the colors you chose... shades of sierra gold and adobe beige (on steroids)..

Gary

Member #:3
    So glad you came back on to post where you are & what you have been up to . Seems like just yesterday when you came out to see me when I was living on Peaceful Drive .

Your car is beautiful & workmanship is out of this world .

Please keep updating all us ,

None of us are getting any younger .

Thank you
    Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Member #:115
    Thanks for the welcome, guys. I'll post some updates on other threads.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:4391
    I love what you've done with your Nomad so far. Thanks for the update and the pictures.

Registered Member

Member #:3360
    Welcome back I have missed your wisdom on the tri-fives, I had a 62 vette also and wish I would've never sold it,any how good to hear from you.

Member #:516
    Nice to have you back!!! Car looks great!!!

Member #:1723
    Chevynut, Welcome back on the forum. I have appreciated your posts thru the years and have appreciated the help you provided. The colors on your Nomad are excellent!
    I understand your desire to escape blue Colorado. I am amazed at what has happened to this state, and hope Montana fits the bill for you. Regards, Doug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast