Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: My Wife's '56

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Vintage Air calls it "Sure Fit" but I haven't had anything fit yet. To change out the original controls there is a 24 page booklet of instructions. I still had to partially take it back apart to get it in the dash.
    The controls are a big problem......I had to make new brackets to mount the potentiometers because they didn't fit using their bracket. The twisted and went into a bind when you actuated them.

The evaporator didn't fit under the dash. I had to use a ratchet strap and pull the bottom of the dash out enough to get it in.
    I didn't have any problems like that and there was plenty of room. My dash is un-damaged and straight. Unless they changed the case (doubtful) I don't understand why it didn't fit. Maybe it's because you used the Vintage Air hardlines on it? I made up my own hoses.

And the wiring under the dash is too long. I got a big roll of wire stuffed under the ash. It is already terminated and wrapped when you get it so you can't shorten it.
    I completely disassembled the harness, shortened wires, and integrated it into my dash harness. They have a red 12 gauge 12V wire and a white 12 gauge ground wire for the blower whicn IMO is WAAAAY too big. And they were 12 feet long. Not anymore.

I thought overall things went together pretty well, except for those controls. I haven't tried to run the duct hoses yet.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    You have to wonder if the designers ever try to install their design.

Scorp

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    “My wife’s 56” but in the initial photo she is NOT behind the wheel. All is well the Corvette is Susie’s car but I Scuffer Susie too.

Member #:615
    We both work on it and we both drive it, but it is definitely her car. She has had the car longer than she has had me.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    You have to wonder if the designers ever try to install their design.
    The answer is probably they did, but the prototype design they installed didn't turn out the same went the parts went to production.

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    The answer is probably they did, but the prototype design they installed didn't turn out the same went the parts went to production.
    So they overseas the part manufacture, dont QA the final product and dont hold the production company accountable. And sloppy initial build leads to repetitive sloppy build.

Yep, thats how businesses do it in 2019.

Scorp

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I could be wrong, but I think VA manufactures their own stuff for the most part, at least what goes inside the passenger compartment.

Now I see why Chevrolet put the heater/air conditioner and wiper motor in the engine compartment in 1956. There is not much room under the dash with everything I added. I started out trying to be real neat. I ended up just trying to make everything fit. I had trouble finding room for the speedometer cable. That's a tight fit. I'm doing about 1/10th of the amount of wiring that Chevynut is doing, but thanks goodness I am nearly done with it.

My engine has been here for a few weeks. The transmission has been ordered and should be ready soon. Hopefully I'll have more to report soon.

I went to Phoenix Transmissions on Friday and pick up our 700R4. They built it to match our engine specs. They furnished everything except the dip stick tube.

Yesterday I finally took the engine off the pallet and removed it from the plastic bag. Now I just need to put them together and install them in the car.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I found an 85 Caprice dipstick fit my 56 nicely. I could not handle billet crap, really wish the thing still had 3rd pedal like 55.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast