Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: My Wife's '56

Registered Member

Member #:2579
    Are those the factory GM accessory brackets on the front of your engine? Did the aftermarket A/C compressor bolt in place of the GM compressor or is that a different bracket ?

Member #:615
    Yes it is the factory GM accessory brackets on the front of the engine. Vintage Air sells a conversion bracket, part #141805 to install a Sanden compressor on the Chevy bracket.

Member #:1723
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Yes it is the factory GM accessory brackets on the front of the engine. Vintage Air sells a conversion bracket, part #141805 to install a Sanden compressor on the Chevy bracket.
    Thanks for posting the info on the R4 to Sanden compressor bracket. That didn't exist when I was installing my GM serpentine kit, and I couldn't figure how to make the Sanden conversion work. Good to know for the future!
    Thanks, Doug

Registered Member

Member #:2579
    Yes thank you for sharing that. That's nice to know.

Wow, it has been three months since I posted updates. I remember one time when I was in my 30s I did a frame off restoration in 3 months. Now in my 70s I work much slower.

I have been busy lately with a lot of other stuff but still did a little on the car. I filled and bled the top cylinders and pump then installed them on the car. Replaced the tack strip on the top frame. Polished and install some stainless moldings. Installed the side windows. Installed the gas tank.

For the last two years I thought each year would be the year it would be finished. Hopefully after the holidays are over I can get very busy on the car and finally finish it in 2020. Maybe.

Member #:3217
    Tabasco,

With the encouragement of the members here, I KNOW you're going to get your wife's convertible finished soon (this year!)..
    (We're all working slower in our 'advanced experienced years'..

Good luck! and keep us informed...

Member #:530
    stay with it Tabasco. You're on the home stretch. Focus on the finish line.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

On my last update I mentioned that I installed all the new vent, door and quarter glass. Here is what they look like.

20200113_163021.jpg

I've been trying to finish the brakes. Everything is new from front to back. I bled the master cylinder and installed it. I then loosened each bleeder screw one at a time to let gravity fill the system. I discovered a few leaks. Re tightening each connection fixed all the leaks except one. One caliper banjo bolt still leaked. I made the 20 mile round trip to the parts store for new copper washers. It still leaked so I checked the internet. A lot of people had the same problem. Someone suggested aluminum washers because they would crush better. So I got a set from Speedway and tried them. Still leaked. Someone suggested using 3 washers in case the bolt was a little tool long. The Speedway washers came 5 to the package, so I put 2 on one side of the bolt and one on the other side. Still leaked. Someone else suggested stat o seal washers. I had never heard of them before. So I ordered a set from Summit. They seem to work to stop the leak. I have been wanting to bleed the brakes for 3 weeks. Maybe I can get it done now.
    Last edited by Tabasco; 01-13-2020 at 03:22 PM.

Banned

Member #:2775
    You are doing a beautiful job! I feel your pain on the leak, but I suspect the mating surfaces on the banjo bolt/caliper might not be plumb, or parallel. Seems like it should be a easy connection that's been around forever.

I have been making a little progress lately. Sometimes it is two steps forward and one step back. A few weeks ago I reported that I filled and bled the top cylinders and pump then installed them on the car. Well last week I looked in the trunk and saw a puddle of red liquid. I had a leak. It didn't show while I was bleeding it. I pulled everything out and found I had two leaks I had to fix. This time I left it on the work bench for a few days with nice clean paper towels under each fitting with no sign of leaks. So I reinstalled everything and hope it is fixed.

I'm going to reinstall the original bumpers. They got re-plated in the 1970s and still look good enough for a driver. But the front center section had a small spot where the chrome peeled off. It looked like it was going to continue to peel. So I went on ebay and bought a new made in America triple chrome plated center section. The 40 year old chrome still looks pretty good beside the new.

Last week I got the shifter hooked up. I"m sure it will need some fine tuning but it works good enough for now.

Over the weekend my wife and I bleed the brakes. I took the car off the jack stands for the fist time in months. When I get in it now that it is on the suspension, it moves around and feels weird. And when I get out of the car I still try step down 2 feet but the car is now a lot lower.

We also installed the top bows. I now need to order weather strip for the top bows and a new windshield seal. Then I can adjust the top and windows. There is a lot of adjustments for a convertible.

20200126_164424.jpg

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast