Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: My Wife's '56

Member #:615
    Thanks for the info markm, but I already bought one of the flexible ones so I guess I will use it.

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I found an 85 Caprice dipstick fit my 56 nicely. I could not handle billet crap, really wish the thing still had 3rd pedal like 55.
    I totally agree with you re the LOKAR crap! They are worse than useless as a PLUG would be better....

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I totally agree with you re the LOKAR crap! They are worse than useless as a PLUG would be better....
    I love my Lokar BBC dipstick. Looks a lot better than the factory crap with a big tube coming out over the valve covers. And it seems nicely made with a good seal.

20180506_004.JPG
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I love my Lokar BBC dipstick. Looks a lot better than the factory crap with a big tube coming out over the valve covers. And it seems nicely made with a good seal.

20180506_004.JPG
    Well, I have to admit my comment was due to my use of a trans dipstick in my TCI350 (56 Nomad). I think for the engine oil, it would be lots better (assuming you can actually SEE the oil on the little dipper)...

I actually bought the Summit brand transmission dipstick tube. It had better reviews than Lokar.

Is your battery located in the original position, Tobasco?? If so, have you tried to USE that Trans filler/dipstick??

Battery is still in original position. I haven't tried the dipstick yet. I plan to get the engine and trans together and installed soon. I hope it works.

When I purchased my 56 Nomad, the prior owner had installed a Lokar trans dipstick. The *std* length only allows it to reach the lower portion of the firewall, directly under the battery! My first trip going up a TN mountain, the trans downshifted hard so I exited and looked for a place to check/correct the trans fluid... It was impossible!! I bought two different plastic long trans funnels, modified one of them attempting to get it 'downsized' to fit in the filler neck (tiny), and poured 2 qts and managed to get ONE qt into the trans ... I think! I modified it later and tried to get it out from under the battery, but it would only reach the hdr bolts (with lots of pulling).

1) Needless to say, the line is not long enough to get appropriate positioning of the filler neck; Lokar tells me they will make one longer for you if you special order it by length!
    2) The fill tube is maybe 1/4" in diameter; the 'special funnel/adapter Lokar provide adapts that up to 1/2", but it still is difficult to get anything into that to allow pouring fluid in without spilling it all over, and the fill tube takes fluid very slowly.
    3) Mounted to the header bolts, if you have to check the trans fluid when the engine has been running (and one is SUPPOSED to check it running), the handle is so hot you can't touch it...

With all these *advantages* of the Lokar trans tube, I'm wondering now why I don't like it.. J/K...

Registered Member

Member #:571
    And the same design is used for an engine dipstick - it works fine when not used as a filler tube too.

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post

20180506_004.JPG
    Have to agree with CN. Hope I dont get struck by lightning

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast