Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: My Wife's '56

Registered Member

Member #:571
    That timing tab is made EXACTLY as GM made them 50 years ago. It's not as big a problem as you guys are making it to be if you put a contrasting mark on the TDC stripe on the damper using a Sharpie or paint. On the other hand if the damper is fully degreed, it's just that much better if you make it into a pointer using tin snips.

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    That timing tab is made EXACTLY as GM made them 50 years ago. It's not as big a problem as you guys are making it to be if you put a contrasting mark on the TDC stripe on the damper using a Sharpie or paint. On the other hand if the damper is fully degreed, it's just that much better if you make it into a pointer using tin snips.
    Actually Rick thats my point about stupid combinations. If you are a builder using a GM style cover and a 50 year old timing tab design, why not use a non-degreed balancer? Otherwise if you are using a degreed balancer, use a later style pointer so the degrees matter.

Personally if I am dropping my hard earned coin on a GM grate, I expect some thought applied to the combination of parts, and I sure as heck am not intetested in tin-snipping my new motor because some doofus didnt apply some thought to how the parts interchange.

IMHO

Scorp
    Last edited by scorpion1110; 05-08-2019 at 07:59 AM. Reason: cursed by auto spell check

Registered Member

Thing is, making that tab into a pointer is a very cheap and thoughtful way to have a pointer. I've got 2 or 3 of them in my parts drawer that became "available" when I changed a couple of race engines to a Jesel belt, getting rid of the stamped sheet metal timing cover. I wouldn't hesitate to use one again.

Registered Member

Thing is, making that tab into a pointer is a very cheap and thoughtful way to have a pointer. I've got 2 or 3 of them in my parts drawer that became "available" when I changed a couple of race engines to a Jesel belt, getting rid of the stamped sheet metal timing cover. I wouldn't hesitate to use one again.
    Rick, I understand and what you're saying makes sense. But when you are spending $2000-$3000k Should you have to?

Banned

Member #:2775
    You will still need to make white marks to easily see it with the timing light anyway. Right on the edge will work fine, and maybe another one on the tab too.

Registered Member

But when you are spending $2000-$3000k Should you have to?
    What was I spending $2000-3000 on?

Registered Member

What was I spending $2000-3000 on?
    The Crate motor that Tabasco bought that has the degreed balancer with 50 year old technology timing tab which obscures the degree readings on the later than 50 year old technology balancer which I feel is representative of the lack of quality control that is applied to the combination of parts that are used to create the 350 CI crate motors that are manufactured by GM performance and assembled overseas and sold by Summit or Jegs for $2000-$3000 approximate that you feel is ok and apparently reasonably includes the need to take a set of tin snips to lop off the ends of the 50 year old technologied timing tab on the engine that just arrived.

And yes that is one sentence.

Scorp

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I too having done this over 40 years ago don't see it as a big deal.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I too having done this over 40 years ago don't see it as a big deal.
    And this is why I build my own engines. The parts match, the quality is right and I am not cutting up parts to make them work like the right parts. Yeah it works, but you SHOULDNT have to do it.

To each his own.

Scorp

Registered Member

Here's my collection. More than I remembered.

thumbnail.jpg

As you can see, we have 3 examples of how to trim. The chrome one on the left is for a 6" damper, the others are for an 8" damper.

I'd have no hesitation to use one of these on a future build or crate. Figuring out a cheap easy pointer to use with a degreed balancer is much preferred to figuring out a tab to use with a plain damper.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast