Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: My Wife's '56

Member #:3217
    $5770 shipped to you from JEGS, (357 hp/400Tq) complete with frontrunner and all accessories! Sounds like a pretty good deal to me... If one wants more power, they also have 375 and 385 hp versions! Power probably is based on headers since exhaust manifolds is about the only parts the engine needs which isn't included. What is the best iron exhaust manifolds for Vortec heads??

PS. Curious why a 9.0 compression engine requires high octane fuel?

Member #:3249
    Carbs aren't that bad..........My 56 has a stock rebuilt 350, 700R4, and 3:42 gears. 29 inch tall tires. I've gotten close to 20 miles to the gallon with this set up with the A/C on. I don't know that I'd improve it much with FI. I'm afraid to change anything.

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines

Looks like he got this one....

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...0-357-turn-key

SP350-357 Tech Specs

• Part Number: 19367084
    • Engine Type: Chevy Small-Block V-8
    • Displacement (cu. in.): 350
    • Bore x Stroke (in.): 4.000 x 3.480
    • Block (P/N 10105123): Cast iron with 4-bolt main caps
    • Crankshaft (P/N 10243070): Nodular Iron
    • Connecting Rods (P/N 10108688): Powdered metal
    • Pistons (P/N 88894280): Cast aluminum
    • Camshaft Type (P/N 12677151): Hydraulic roller
    • Camshaft Lift (in.): 0.473” intake / 0.473” exhaust
    • Camshaft Duration (@.050 in.): 215° intake / 223° exhaust
    • Cylinder Heads: Cast iron; as cast with 64-cc chambers
    • Valve Size (in): 1.940 intake / 1.500 exhaust
    • Compression Ratio: 9.0:1 nominal
    • Required Fuel: Premium pump
    • Ignition Timing: 32º Total @ 4,000 rpm
    • Maximum Recommended rpm: 5600

You could always ditch that nasty carb and put a FI Tech EFI or Holley Sniper on it.
    CN and you were being so good. Tsk tsk.

I have enrolled you in the Carb-of-the-Month club.

Scorp

Member #:615
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    $5770 shipped to you from JEGS, (357 hp/400Tq) complete with frontrunner and all accessories! Sounds like a pretty good deal to me... If one wants more power, they also have 375 and 385 hp versions! Power probably is based on headers since exhaust manifolds is about the only parts the engine needs which isn't included. What is the best iron exhaust manifolds for Vortec heads??

PS. Curious why a 9.0 compression engine requires high octane fuel?
    Yes that is the engine I got and I got it at Jegs.

I also wondered about the premium fuel requirement. Is it possible that is required for maximum horse power?

I'm thinking about the 2 1/2 inch rams horn exhaust manifolds. I think they will work okay.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by busterwivell View Post
    Carbs aren't that bad..........My 56 has a stock rebuilt 350, 700R4, and 3:42 gears. 29 inch tall tires. I've gotten close to 20 miles to the gallon with this set up with the A/C on. I don't know that I'd improve it much with FI. I'm afraid to change anything.
    I believe you, my 55 with a 396, 2x4s and a TKO-600 with a 3.54 gear get close to that on highway.

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Yes that is the engine I got and I got it at Jegs.

I also wondered about the premium fuel requirement. Is it possible that is required for maximum horse power?

I'm thinking about the 2 1/2 inch rams horn exhaust manifolds. I think they will work okay.
    If the exhaust port locations/bolt holes are consistent with old style Chevy heads, then the 2.5" ramshorns would be a good exhaust for this engine. Let us know what you do and how it works out..

Well I'm back. I finally got a new internet provider. My old service had between 3.3 and 1.6 mbps down load and 0.2 to 0.3 mbps upload. I had to call 3 companies before I found one that could get a signal. The new service is not blazing fast but I can post pictures and watch streaming video.

Also I had to have a minor surgery and the doctor didn't want me to do anything for two weeks.

But now I am back working on the car. I'm still working on the wiring. That job was a lot easier before I started wearing bi-focals.

Hopefully I can have more progress reports soon.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    That job was a lot easier before I started wearing bi-focals.
    I can relate to that. I can't use my trifocal blend with a welding helmet. I do ok by just removing the glasses, but I've discussed with my eye doctor getting a pair of glasses with just the medium length prescription. I can't use drugstore reading glasses because of my astigmatism, but they may be an option for you depending on your situation.

Vintage Air calls it "Sure Fit" but I haven't had anything fit yet. To change out the original controls there is a 24 page booklet of instructions. I still had to partially take it back apart to get it in the dash.

The evaporator didn't fit under the dash. I had to use a ratchet strap and pull the bottom of the dash out enough to get it in.

The cheap little plastic cover where the hoses come through the firewall didn't fit. Besides it was cheap looking and black and held on with plastic fasteners. I made me a metal piece that fits and is held on with stainless button head screws.

And the wiring under the dash is too long. I got a big roll of wire stuffed under the ash. It is already terminated and wrapped when you get it so you can't shorten it.

The instructions are not in order. I spend a lot of time flipping through the pages. There are no photographs only crude drawings. The drawings don't look exactly like the car.

I hear they make really good air conditioners that will keep you cool. I hope so after all this trouble.

Member #:3611
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Vintage Air calls it "Sure Fit" but I haven't had anything fit yet. To change out the original controls there is a 24 page booklet of instructions. I still had to partially take it back apart to get it in the dash.

The evaporator didn't fit under the dash. I had to use a ratchet strap and pull the bottom of the dash out enough to get it in.

The cheap little plastic cover where the hoses come through the firewall didn't fit. Besides it was cheap looking and black and held on with plastic fasteners. I made me a metal piece that fits and is held on with stainless button head screws.

And the wiring under the dash is too long. I got a big roll of wire stuffed under the ash. It is already terminated and wrapped when you get it so you can't shorten it.

The instructions are not in order. I spend a lot of time flipping through the pages. There are no photographs only crude drawings. The drawings don't look exactly like the car.

I hear they make really good air conditioners that will keep you cool. I hope so after all this trouble.
    I just finished doing a Vintage Air install on a 67 El Camino and had similar problems, nothing fit and lots of modifications by me to make it look nice .....

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast