Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Small steering wheel

Member #:115
    So why doesn't the column adjustment procedure I posted work? I don't see why it won't address the problem with the gap shown in the original picture.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    It does work if there is nothing in the way. Common problem and fix with a stock column and stock type wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    It does work if there is nothing in the way.
    So is there something in the way on these smaller steering wheels? I thought they were supposed to be a bolt-on and were the same as stock other than the diameter. Maybe "supposed to" eluded them. I'm not familiar enough with them to know how they go together and what might be in the way. Surely it could be fixed somehow if there was.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

I don't know. Lee T brought it up, first I've ever heard of it. On the other hand needing to slide the stock outer column upward is pretty common.

I don't like the look of the little "stock" wheel anyway, plus I see complaints about fit and finish. A stock wheel center with a slightly smaller 60s rim is a lot more appealing for me.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 06-10-2018 at 04:11 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I find the small stock wheel's unattractive, so I went with a 59 Impala wheel on my 56,

Registered Member

To me the Impala wheel is timeless good style, it's what I have too.

This is the one I'm using. Bought it a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago thinking I'd need it soon.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I don't know. Lee T brought it up, first I've ever heard of it. On the other hand needing to slide the stock outer column upward is pretty common.

I don't like the look of the little "stock" wheel anyway, plus I see complaints about fit and finish. A stock wheel center with a slightly smaller 60s rim is a lot more appealing for me.
    I don't know either, that's why I brought it up, so has anyone ran into this problem?

Member #:1723
    Quote Originally Posted by LEE T View Post
    I don't know either, that's why I brought it up, so has anyone ran into this problem?
    Hi Lee,
    I had issues on closing the gap, but that was because I shortened the stock column, because I installed a CPP power steering box. I bought a shortened steering shaft: it was too long, and helped cause the gap. I ended up taking off some of the end of the shaft to close the gap, did a little trimming on the rag joint, and a little work on the firewall, so that my automatic shifting bracket would allow the shifter tab to work properly. I had to play with those three factors (and as CNUT said, adjust the column toward the driver), to get the gap proper.
    I didn't measure any differences on the back of the small wheel, vs. the original wheel. Is the column in your pic shortened, associated with an aftermarket PS box install, I wonder?
    Regards, Doug

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    I don't have the small wheel and the picture i posted is just one off the internet. When I look on ebay and notice a car with that small wheel I always see the larger gap and that is why I called East Coast Chevy to ask them about it. It seems to me that there must be some obstruction on the bottom of the hub, so I thought maybe what ever keeps it from coming closer to the signal housing could be removed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast