Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Poor Performance When Hot

Registered Member

Member #:571
    If you have an MSD box, then you have no need for the module in the RTR distributor. Just wire it so that the magnetic trigger wire pair goes directly to the box. Observe polarity - one way gives you rock sold timing - reversing polarity gives you a slight retard at a fairly low rpm (but it's well above idle).

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    If you have an MSD box, then you have no need for the module in the RTR distributor. Just wire it so that the magnetic trigger wire pair goes directly to the box. Observe polarity - one way gives you rock sold timing - reversing polarity gives you a slight retard at a fairly low rpm (but it's well above idle).
    The R2R has the electronics buried down below, covered by what looks like an almost regular distributor. At the moment I don't recall if the trigger wires are accessible unless it all comes apart. I know about the polarity thing. I had changed the pickup in the old distributor, it's just a Ford part. MSD said the wires are a guess, 50/50 chance on getting them right. I started it up and it was backfiring and acting all crazy, swapped the wires and it ran good enough to set the timing. Back when I bought the ford pickup for it, msd would tell you what part to buy anywhere but now they are selling them again.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:3718
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    Also, I had swapped gears from the R2R to the old one. If I get a new one, is a melonized gear compatible with a roller cam? Or bronze, or composite.
    Yes for a street vehicle that is the one to use. Make sure it has the correct inside diameter for your distributor shaft.
    Remember the "13"

Member #:3718
    The R2R has the electronics buried down below, covered by what looks like an almost regular distributor. At the moment I don't recall if the trigger wires are accessible unless it all comes apart. I know about the polarity thing. I had changed the pickup in the old distributor, it's just a Ford part. MSD said the wires are a guess, 50/50 chance on getting them right. I started it up and it was backfiring and acting all crazy, swapped the wires and it ran good enough to set the timing. Back when I bought the ford pickup for it, msd would tell you what part to buy anywhere but now they are selling them again.
    You're right about the polarity. A lot of the differences you see in timing are also related to the type of MSD box it is. A 6AL normally just retards about 4* if wired in reverse, but I have also seen MSD 7AL-3 units not only retard a few degrees but also refuse to retard the timing no matter what timing chips were installed in it.
    Remember the "13"

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Re: Polarity
    I took the RTR apart last night. The pickup has a black/orange and a black/violet wire. The black/violet goes to ground.
    The 6AL box input has a green wire and a violet wire. Neither go to ground.
    So which way do the wires go? Or do I just try it, check the timing, switch them and check the timing again?

I'm desoldering the pickup wires from the circuit board and soldering the green and violet wires to them with an extra plug that came with the 6AL. If I have it wrong I'll just pull the wires/pins out of the plug and switch them. But if you know which is right ... ?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

I've run into exactly the same problem a long time ago and frankly it's been so long that I don't remember the answer. Best advice I can give you is to check the timing with it both ways, then you'll know for sure. Not too hard if you use a plug that allows you to switch the terminals quickly.

Member #:1653
    Re: Polarity
    I took the RTR apart last night. The pickup has a black/orange and a black/violet wire. The black/violet goes to ground.
    The 6AL box input has a green wire and a violet wire. Neither go to ground.
    So which way do the wires go? Or do I just try it, check the timing, switch them and check the timing again?

I'm desoldering the pickup wires from the circuit board and soldering the green and violet wires to them with an extra plug that came with the 6AL. If I have it wrong I'll just pull the wires/pins out of the plug and switch them. But if you know which is right ... ?
    Instructions: http://documents.msdperformance.com/85551.pdf

Registered Member

You don't want either wire on the pickup connected to ground. One goes to the green wire on the MSD box, and the other goes to the violet wire on the MSD box. The only hint to me is one of them is violet/black, I would connect it to the violet wire on the MSD, and the other one to the green. But I'd still check as suggested.

Registered Member

Thanks Nick but I'm outside of what the instructions tell you. I'm turning a RTR distributor that can be used alone, just it and a coil into a distributor that needs an outside spark box. I'm bypassing all the electronics inside of it and just using the pickup.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:1653
    888-258-3835

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast