Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor Performance When Hot

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    What's not correct? Adding fuel when there's no oxygen for it to combine to creates zero additional heat energy. Believe what you want. Seems like you start these threads so you can argue with people who reply and try to help you. It might help if you learn something about physics and thermodynamics.

When you prove you have a problem and give us more data, maybe we can help you. This is sounding just like the "boiling gas" thread.
    No CN, what it seems like is that you are a grown adult that acts like a silly little child. A grown man that can never admit when he is wrong. You live a sad life. I know, I posted the kind of bullshit you post 20 or so years ago, but I grew up and grew out of it. It's about time for you to grow up.

You don't like my posts, you don't like when I shove facts in your face and you ignore them or you twist and turn the facts to make it look like you are never ever wrong about anything, if that's the kind of person you are, then don't reply to my posts at all. We can solve it that easy. Don't reply to my posts.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Banned

Member #:2775
    I got tired of guessing with no idea of what my air/fuel ratio was, so I installed an AFR gauge, which is a great tuning tool that fuel injection basically operates on. And as far as engine temps go, how the hell does NASCAR run WFOpen getting hot enough to melt your shoes, all day long without all of these problems.

Member #:115
    Nothing I said was "wrong", Tony, you just convolute and twist everything. Point to one thing I said that was wrong, and don't inject your other BS into the debate. The FACT is when you run out of oxygen, NO MORE FUEL CAN BURN! Seems like you keep arguing that's not true. Which part don't you understand? Besides, I think I'm a little more qualified than you are on the subject. Seems to me that you're the one who can't accept being wrong, and doesn't believe in physics.

Here's some info to consider.....

web.mit.edu/2.61/www/Lecture%20notes/Lec.%2018%20Heat%20transf.pdf

In an internal combustion engine, about 26% of the heat energy is used to make power. That leaves 74% that's rejected from the engine. About 54% of that is spent out of the exhaust. About 30% goes into the coolant, and about 9% of it is rejected in other ways such as convection and radiation off the engine. If your cooling system has 9% over-capacity you don't need ANY heat to be rejected off the engine surfaces to keep the engine cool. And under-hood temperatures have nearly zero effect on what's going on in the combustion chamber, which is all that matters. That means it has no effect on performance as long as the coolant temperature is maintained and air inlet temperature remains constant.

56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    I got tired of guessing with no idea of what my air/fuel ratio was, so I installed an AFR gauge, which is a great tuning tool that fuel injection basically operates on.
    I have a WBO2 sensor on my engine and I can tune on the fly with a laptop. It reads out AFR real-time like yours does.

And as far as engine temps go, how the hell does NASCAR run WFOpen getting hot enough to melt your shoes, all day long without all of these problems.
    It's because what's going on under your shoes has nothing to do with what's going on in the combustion chamber. Under-hood temps are irrelevant as long as the cooling system can control engine temperature. And at 200 MPH that's probably not a big problem .
    Last edited by chevynut; 06-14-2018 at 04:17 PM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:530
    We can solve it that easy. Don't reply to my posts.
    Took that advice long ago from this guy...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Honestly Tony, I have no idea what you're arguing. You seem to think that a gasoline engine operates the same as a diesel when in fact, they operate through different thermodynamic cycles. A gas engine runs on the Otto Cycle and a diesel runs on the Diesel Cycle.

In a diesel engine, there is no throttle. Its aways wide open to the atmosphere So the more air you put into it the more fuel you can put into it. You don't have to be precise with the A/F ratio. The more fuel you put into it the more power, until you've consumed all the oxygen. Then you start pumping unburned fuel as black soot out of the tailpipe.

A gas engine is different. It's still primarily an air pump so the more air you can put into it the more gas you can put into it. However, for every level of airflow there is a correct amount of gasoline to achieve complete combustion. As I've been trying to tell you, again, once the oxygen is gone more fuel does nothing but cool the engine.

Why is it that when someone tries to help you, you insist on generating some sort of irrelevant argument? I don't know why you even brought A/F ratio up except so you could argue something. Apparently nothing has changed in 20 years.
    Last edited by chevynut; 06-14-2018 at 04:39 PM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Evidently someone didn't look at the links I posted, or thinks those websites are all wrong.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    Evidently someone didn't look at the links I posted, or thinks those websites are all wrong.
    I did, which is why I'm wondering what is your A/F ratio when the power goes up, or down? Everything I have runs best at 190 degrees plus.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 06-14-2018 at 05:29 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    Took that advice long ago from this guy...
    Oh shit I read this a minute too late. I apologize to the group one more time for getting suckered in.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Banned

It's always best not to post, and appear to be a fool, than type away and remove all doubt.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast