Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Poor Performance When Hot

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    888-258-3835
    I just asked the question in case Rick remembered it. It will take less time to try it and switch the wires if I have to, than to try and weasel that info out of MSD. The *tech* I talked to there last was typing my distributor symptoms into a computer and reading off the computer for things to look for. That's some great tech service. I seriously doubt he ever touched a distributor, or even knows what it does, let alone try to tell me how to modify it to other than how the factory built it.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:625
    no magic bullets in dist, seen many a car do fine with single points in the day.

Registered Member

Ran pretty good last night with the ancient MSD dizzy. Had a couple close runs I won and a couple I lost, I can see how this gets addicting. In the next week or two they are supposed to have a timer!

Last run I ran by myself and was reading the A/F gauge , I was somewhere near 13.5-14. I guess I could richen it up a little? Timing was at 16°. I was told I have a real sleeper with the Dynomax mufflers.

I was also told that it really wakes up around the 60' mark. Now who was that who said I need a convertor? That would be an indication wouldn't it?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:3718
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    Ran pretty good last night with the ancient MSD dizzy. Had a couple close runs I won and a couple I lost, I can see how this gets addicting. In the next week or two they are supposed to have a timer!

Last run I ran by myself and was reading the A/F gauge , I was somewhere near 13.5-14. I guess I could richen it up a little? Timing was at 16°. I was told I have a real sleeper with the Dynomax mufflers.

I was also told that it really wakes up around the 60' mark. Now who was that who said I need a convertor? That would be an indication wouldn't it?
    Ha-Ha - sorry man, I have to laugh!. Remember one of my earlier post - it starts off just seeing what she'll do, then a little tweek here and there, then slicks, then a bit more horsepower and before you know it, your street/strip ride is barely streetable. Not being critical at all, I have been through it, done it, seen it so many times over the years but hell - it's a blast isn't it?!

Welcome to my addiction, you can check out but you can never leave.

Not sure what you have in it right now for converter but yep a touch looser would get her moving a bit quicker and put you closer to your optimal RPM range and power band. If that's out of the question, then you might want to look at advancing the camshaft a few degrees, that will move the power band downward RPM wise and get you closer to what the converter does. And yep, you could go up a couple of numbers on jet but make changes based on what your spark plugs are telling you. That's the true information. Change out #1 and #2 with a pair of new ones, shut off at the end of your pass and let her coast around to the return road. Pull the new ones and replace with your old then head back to your pit. Google "sparkplug reading 101" - really good information on what the plugs are telling you. Have fun!!
    Last edited by chasracer; 06-24-2018 at 08:18 AM.
    Remember the "13"

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I feel like a broken record but a good name band converter is very important part of any serious street/strip effort,

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I feel like a broken record but a good name band converter is very important part of any serious street/strip effort,
    Did you read the whole post? I think you missed a sentence.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Did you read the whole post? I think you missed a sentence.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Since my running when hot problem is fixed, I started a new thread. Shows a whole 2 seconds of one of my runs, and my friend goofing around.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chasracer View Post
    Ha-Ha - sorry man, I have to laugh!. Remember one of my earlier post - it starts off just seeing what she'll do, then a little tweek here and there, then slicks, then a bit more horsepower and before you know it, your street/strip ride is barely streetable. Not being critical at all, I have been through it, done it, seen it so many times over the years but hell - it's a blast isn't it?!

Welcome to my addiction, you can check out but you can never leave.

Not sure what you have in it right now for converter but yep a touch looser would get her moving a bit quicker and put you closer to your optimal RPM range and power band. If that's out of the question, then you might want to look at advancing the camshaft a few degrees, that will move the power band downward RPM wise and get you closer to what the converter does. And yep, you could go up a couple of numbers on jet but make changes based on what your spark plugs are telling you. That's the true information. Change out #1 and #2 with a pair of new ones, shut off at the end of your pass and let her coast around to the return road. Pull the new ones and replace with your old then head back to your pit. Google "sparkplug reading 101" - really good information on what the plugs are telling you. Have fun!!
    I wired my RTR deleting the circuit board inside and going straight to the 6AL box. Put the street tires on and it seems to run well using just the pickup. Tried going WOT a few times and the a/f looked good now? Got caught in some heavy rain, down to 15mph to see. Glad I have my trusty vacuum wipers. (seriously I like them) The cam is already advanced 2 degrees. After the rain I hit the highway to heat up the plugs, checked them at home after 3 miles of driving slow and they looked a lot cleaner than they used to. That RTR must have been getting worse and worse over time, the plugs were turning medium brown and I didn't know why. Now one side (of the plug) is almost white and the other side a light brown/tan. Looks good to me but I can look at the track with 2 new ones like you said.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:3718
    What I look for is the mark on the side electrode, with gas the closer to the bend is good for proper timing and heat range. The base of the threads tells me where I am at on mixture -, dark, sooty carbon is too rich, whitish is way lean so I am looking for a dark gray color or a clean flat black. The porcelain should be tan in color and I like to see the bottom ring of it in the bottom area of the plug where the porcelain comes out of the shell. Normally I cut the threaded area off of the plug to see this area - almost impossible without one of those real expensive plug magnifiers. On a new engine combination, I will cut a couple of plugs just to make sure we have the proper one in there.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast