Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage Air with a 4 inch recessed fire wall?

Registered Member

Member #:532
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I'm curious why VA didn't send you the correct brackets with your mockup case. Seems like an obvious thing to do for a mockup. Maybe you should call them and see if they'll send a set. I don't know what HRD sells.
    Because Vintage Air sells the mock up simply based on Gen 2, Gen 4 etc non vehicle model specific with the out put duct configuration of your choice. You then have to order the brackets for your particular application. The brackets are based on holes being in your stock firewall that are now gone with the custom firewall unit and look like hell anyhow as they protrude all the way through. So you can either weld bolts (elevator bolts are a common choice) or use a different style bracket like Hotrod Dynamics sells.

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass Trifive View Post
    Because Vintage Air sells the mock up simply based on Gen 2, Gen 4 etc non vehicle model specific with the out put duct configuration of your choice. You then have to order the brackets for your particular application. The brackets are based on holes being in your stock firewall that are now gone with the custom firewall unit and look like hell anyhow as they protrude all the way through. So you can either weld bolts (elevator bolts are a common choice) or use a different style bracket like Hotrod Dynamics sells.
    Can you post a picture of that HRD bracket you speak of? I looked around on their website, and I didn't see a bracket for mounting a VA unit.
    Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bitchin'57 View Post
    Can you post a picture of that HRD bracket you speak of? I looked around on their website, and I didn't see a bracket for mounting a VA unit.
    Go to their 55-56 Firewall area >installation photo gallery > word file named Installation.docx the pictures are in that file. They’re just simple brackets that could be easily made, I’d never really looked at them before as I’ve only done a 57. I’m sorry for some reason it won’t let me add the other pictures from my iPad and that’s all I have with me currently.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bluegrass Trifive; 06-14-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Never knew of elevator bolts until I read this thread. Looks like they are a good solution. On mine I just used low grade hex head bolts - welded the head to the passenger side of the firewall. Same result.

The VA brackets I have are just 18 gauge sheet metal. Easy to make custom ones like those, all you need is snips to cut to size, a vise to clamp for the bend, and a drill to make the holes. Real easy. The hard part is being sure where those fasteners go - but it's probably more forgiving than you first think.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Never knew of elevator bolts until I read this thread. Looks like they are a good solution. On mine I just used low grade hex head bolts - welded the head to the passenger side of the firewall. Same result.

The VA brackets I have are just 18 gauge sheet metal. Easy to make custom ones like those, all you need is snips to cut to size, a vise to clamp for the bend, and a drill to make the holes. Real easy. The hard part is being sure where those fasteners go - but it's probably more forgiving than you first think.
    I learned of their existence from a heavy truck mechanic 25 years ago, they work great when replacing a wood trailer floor.

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I learned of their existence from a heavy truck mechanic 25 years ago, they work great when replacing a wood trailer floor.
    Several types to fit the need.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#elevator-bolts/=1damrwq

Carbon Steel Stainless too Special for wood or Belting

Member #:115
    This is what I used. I just plug-welded them in from the front of the firewall. Got them at a local ACE Hardware.

20150729_001.JPG
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:625
    If I need one or two Ace is an option, but Fastenal is a must for quantities.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Lowes has them too, apparently they are more widely available than one might think. I find McMaster-Carr to be more price friendly than Fastenal, and I get the stuff by UPS ground in 2 days.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Lowes has them too, apparently they are more widely available than one might think. I find McMaster-Carr to be more price friendly than Fastenal, and I get the stuff by UPS ground in 2 days.
    Yep, I’ve bought them from my local Lowes several times.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12