Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So how the Hell does this happen?

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by chasracer View Post
    Below is the start-up and break-in procedure for the LT4 engine from the GM document. Again, I understand that in a street driven, day-to-day car that the approved 5W20/5W30 oils would be preferable over the long haul. I do believe if I am going to race the car in some capacity, I am switching to the Mobil-1 15W-50 - if only for the weekend.

Back to Pro Stock - I did some checking and a single billet crankshaft ready to go for a legal NHRA Pro Stock today is on the order of $7800. That's a little bit more than 10% of the Camaro's list price.

Start-up and Break-in Procedures
    Use only engine oil licensed to the dexos1® specification of the proper SAE viscosity grade. AC Delco dexos1 Synthetic
    Blend is recommended. For track events or competitive driving, use Mobil 1® 15W-50 engine oil. Safety first, if the
    vehicle is on the ground, be sure the park brake is set, the wheels are chocked and the car cannot fall into gear.
    Two statements there;"Use only engine oil licensed to the dexos1® specification of the proper SAE viscosity grade. AC Delco dexos1 Synthetic
    Blend is recommended." and "For track events or competitive driving, use Mobil 1® 15W-50 engine oil. " The first tells me that for the sake of the warranty, use the aforementioned 5W30. The second, use at your own risk relative to any warranty.

Member #:3718
    Probably right - but then again as a Philadelphia lawyer - why would you sell a car that you advertise and encourage the buyer/owner to compete with in track events or competitive driving then not cover the engine via warranty because you used the oil that they recommended for those conditions?

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Again, where did you find this recommendation to use 15W50? I looked all over the internet and didn't find it.

Seems to me if you want the warranty you need to run the DEXOS approved product, and 15W50 is not. And you must want the warranty since you took it to the dealer for warranty work.

"Philadelphia lawyers" aren't going to beat "GM lawyers".

And once again - it's not my car - I honestly could care less about it.

And "Philadelphia Lawyer" is just a phrase but that question still remains. GM can try talking out of both sides of their mouth but you can't have it both ways. I guess that's why the repairs were covered under warranty completely.

And also again, it's a GM document on the LT4 Supercharged engine - I found it rather easily.

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by chasracer View Post

And also again, it's a GM document on the LT4 Supercharged engine - I found it rather easily.
    Link?

This "DOC" from GM on the LT says 5W30 Semi Synthetic: http://gmpowertrain.com/docs/15_Gen%20V_LT4_6.2L_SC.doc
    Last edited by NickP; 07-04-2018 at 05:40 AM.

https://my.chevrolet.com/vehicle/2018/Corvette

Download Owner's Manual PDF

Go to Page 157

Track Events and
    Competitive Driving - 3rd Caution

"Not changing the engine oil to
    15W-50 may cause engine
    damage. Engine oil must be
    changed to 15W-50 synthetic."

The Camaro manual says basically the same except it tells you to change back to your street oil (apparently for mileage reasons).
    Last edited by chasracer; 07-04-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123