Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: At the track video

Registered Member

Member #:2764

At the track video

A guy I know was there last night, (his wife talked him into coming) and he kept asking if anyone could race so I talked him into it. He just told me now when I called him for the video that he didn't even floor it, he was afraid he would hurt the car. LOL He actually sneaked in without paying to race then I think he was told to pay or leave so he was gone.

This place is really half assed, to tell the truth, I don't even know where the finish line was so I always was sure I was well passed it before letting off. Hope with the timer that will change.
    Anyway, how does my launch look? I don't remember that one, but sometimes I was hooking up and sometimes I was spinning for 15-20'.
    Hmm, it's a lot harder to see on youtube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1xC...ature=youtu.be
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:3718
    It looks like it hits then I guess slips a bit and bites again. Car looks like it's moving out pretty good though. My guess is that this more a street type surface with little to no prep going on?
    Remember the "13"

Registered Member

I don't know about the surface, it's an old track that was closed for a few years. The one time when my car wasn't running for crap, they pointed out the spot were he said they put some *glue* down. Don't know which it was or a combo but I didn't spin a bit. I imagine that since they will have times in a week or two they may prep a little better. I was told the equipment they bought is pretty old and it just lights to show who won, but when you get your ticket it has the time/s.

Does it make a difference in traction if when done with the burnout you just let off the brakes and take off then maybe back up if you need to, or just stopping the burnout and rolling up to be staged?

Also there were a few with street tires and I suppose they screw things up. Amazing though how some of these front wheel drive cars with slicks grab as good as they do, I never would have thought it.

Oh, the one race I lost, I was a good deal ahead then he, with a big new looking jeep was passing me. I heard a loud whine and asked him if it's turbo and he said "super turbo". Did he mean "super charged"? Did they make any that way (either)? Talk about a sleeper!
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    were you the guy in the white car? just kidding Tony. ----------> looks like you did better then i could do, had to be fun too.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Actually your car looks pretty good on the launch. There is a short lull in acceleration after the car initially moves, but the video is taken from so far away that I can't tell whether it's a bog or spinning the tires. You probably know better than we do.

As far as a burnout routine or whether street tire cars are screwing up the starting line, there are many variables. The street tire guys are probably not screwing up the track unless they are visibly dragging up debris or water. Burnouts are over rated. Basically you need the tires to be clean.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by carls 56 View Post
    were you the guy in the white car? just kidding Tony. ----------> looks like you did better then i could do, had to be fun too.
    Yes I'm in the white car. I put a new body on the original frame.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Rick, I was trying to see if the caltracs are working, lifting the rear. I don't see it go up, but I don't see it go down either. Did you try the full screen mode, it makes it a bit easier to see. There were times I was spinning but honestly it's still a bit of a thrill for me that I don't remember what happened when.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Also, I'm shifting at 5500rpm. (actually the automatic is shifting at 5500) The cam says it's range is 2500-6200, but it is already advanced 2°, which according to Comp, that would make the power band 2000 to 5700rpm. I'm pretty darn sure I'm higher than 2000rpm on the launch, but I will try to watch that.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Higher the better at the starting line and the drop after the shift. You're way below peak torque at 2000 rpm no matter what they say.

Registered Member

So what stall rpm should I be looking for?

And about what rpm's will I be able to rev it to with the brakes on when staged?

And the one you hate to hear ... how much will this affect cruising in town and highway?
    Last edited by 55 Tony; 06-25-2018 at 02:22 PM.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast