Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: At the track video

Registered Member

Member #:2764

Power Glides

OK. With all those replies, I now understand why power glides are popular for racing. How much heavier are the old cast iron ones? (I know you don't use those)
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    I was going to guess flat top pistons that gave you 10:1. My first set were flat with a large chamfer around the outside edge. Don't know what the compression ratio was but a compression test averaged 140psi. 1978 smog motor and a slug in it's own right. Back then I thought it had some power, but I'd never had a fast car and certainly nothing like the torque it had.

Last night I challenged a trans am that beat me by a half a car a few weeks ago, he said he wasn't tuned in yet and I said neither was I. I was running darn good but he was running much much better. Then I found out he doesn't exactly advertise the bottle. I guess that's what he meant about not being tuned in yet.

Also that looseness/oversteer in the rear from the slicks is still there but I just got used to it I guess. Only noticed it once.
    The only way I know to get 10-1 with a 454 is a dome, Flat top closed chamber is still about 8.8 -1. Forget 327/350 when talking BBC.

Registered Member

OK. With all those replies, I now understand why power glides are popular for racing. How much heavier are the old cast iron ones? (I know you don't use those)
    When we moved my trans core from one building to another twenty years ago I could pick up a 400 , but not a cast iron glide with adaptor and convertor.

Member #:3
    I think but not sure ,
    Powerglide ALUM around 97 LBS
    Powerglide Cast Steel around 245 LBS
    700R 135 LBS
    TH350 122 LBS

Thanks Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The only way I know to get 10-1 with a 454 is a dome, Flat top closed chamber is still about 8.8 -1.
    Even a 502 needs a small dome to get to 10:1, and that's with some fairly small chambers (110 cc).

Banned

Member #:2775
    I was going to guess flat top pistons that gave you 10:1. My first set were flat with a large chamfer around the outside edge. Don't know what the compression ratio was but a compression test averaged 140psi. 1978 smog motor and a slug in it's own right. Back then I thought it had some power, but I'd never had a fast car and certainly nothing like the torque it had.

Last night I challenged a trans am that beat me by a half a car a few weeks ago, he said he wasn't tuned in yet and I said neither was I. I was running darn good but he was running much much better. Then I found out he doesn't exactly advertise the bottle. I guess that's what he meant about not being tuned in yet.

Also that looseness/oversteer in the rear from the slicks is still there but I just got used to it I guess. Only noticed it once.
    Most of the loose rear feeling comes mostly from the low air pressure, and that radials and bias ply tires are NEVER a good mix either. Maybe not faster, but I would think drag radials would be much more stable, or bias ply fronts. It's never a win on the roof upside down at the end of the track.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    Most of the loose rear feeling comes mostly from the low air pressure, and that radials and bias ply tires are NEVER a good mix either. Maybe not faster, but I would think drag radials would be much more stable, or bias ply fronts. It's never a win on the roof upside down at the end of the track.
    I did find one thing that really helps a lot but I expect some disagreements here or I would have posted it a while ago. Since the loose feeling in the rear feels like oversteer, lowering the air pressure in the fronts it helps correct it. And yes I know that probably causes more rolling resistance, but for what I'm doing, one little thing like that isn't that big a deal.

I had the same basic problem on my van when I got new tires on the front. They have very stiff sidewalls which gave me oversteer so I lowered the pressure in the front and increased it in the rear. Problem solved, and the tires are wearing just fine. Yes I'm sure if I put 4 new tires on it, it probably would never have been a problem, but it is what it is.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Even a 502 needs a small dome to get to 10:1, and that's with some fairly small chambers (110 cc).
    Not sure but I think flattpp and bbc start to result in decent compression about 540 cubes.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    That would probably be right - the 502 dome is tiny to get the 10:1. Maybe only 0.050"-0.060" tall.

Member #:3817
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The only way I know to get 10-1 with a 454 is a dome, Flat top closed chamber is still about 8.8 -1. Forget 327/350 when talking BBC.
    My first reaction was to doubt that. A 396 10.5 motor has small domes, but I would have thought something with as big of bore and stroke of a 454 wouldn't need domes. However, these in this picture are supposedly 454 closed chamber 11.1 pistons, so I stand corrected.

s-l1600.jpg

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast