Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Distributor adjustment made easy

Registered Member

Member #:2764

Distributor adjustment made easy

For me anyway, loosening and tightening the distributor hold down bracket bolt is a bitch with all the wires and hoses in the way. And yes, I use a distributor wrench. When I changed the distributor last week, I took out the old bolt and installed a stud. Get the wrench on it once and the rest is easy. Works for me!
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Have ran studs there, for years.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Also the OEM hold down clamps are generally junk. I usually use a Moroso clamp which also comes with a stud, nut, and washer.

Member #:3718
    2nd all of that plus you don't have to worry about pulling the threads out of the aluminum intake. My middle boy likes to play gorilla with nuts and bolts, keep telling him that over-tightening stuff causes more grief than it's worth.
    Remember the "13"

Member #:3817
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Also the OEM hold down clamps are generally junk. I usually use a Moroso clamp which also comes with a stud, nut, and washer.
    Sometimes the aftermarket clamps are less than desirable also. Many times the body of the clamp hits something before it tightens the dist base down. In those cases the simple stock single wire clamp works better. As far as the stud goes the intake end of the stud is a coarse thread, while the upper end is usually a fine thread. This causes more turns to have to be made, but it allows greater control when setting the timing to the nth degree.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Well it looks like I thought of something really good, but I'm far from the first person to do it.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe