Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lower Control arm bolt comes loose

Member #:3217
    Man, I sure love this great information, pro and con, from you fellas..... giving us all the information so we can make our own informed decisions!

Thanks!

Banned

Member #:2775
    Here is a good article on rear suspensions, which I know the original subject was about the front, but about half way down it explains how the triangulated 4 link rear works and many others. It also mentions earlier in the article that trying to pivot a bushing in more than one arc can induce binding in any suspension. I have this book and it is a good read, and it gives some perspective into how one thing can affect another.
    https://www.cartechbooks.com/techtip...ension-system/
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 07-07-2018 at 04:39 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    You might consider using red loctite, also. In my experience, it’s a lot stronger.

Banned

A jam nut is another option, but it still shouldn't loosen if it is clamped to the inner sleeve securely, and the lubed bushing free to pivot on it. If the poly bushings are not kept lubed, they can stick to the sleeve under load, which could cause it to loosen too. Unfortunately, unlike the rubber bushing which has no moving parts, you have to disassemble the suspension to lube them, unless they have zerk fittings, which most do not.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 07-08-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Member #:1653
    With, T=FR, how much force is required with an "R" of less than .500 to undo the fastener in question initially torqued to 55 Ft. LB?

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    I have a few miles on it since this happened and last night checked it with just a hand wrench and couldn't turn it clockwise. Yes the wrench is short and gives less leverage but it didn't budge. Felt like the locktight is working this time. Not that the locktight should be needed, but maybe the whole thing was too full of oil/grease to work the first time years ago? For the drivers side, I have to drop part of the steering linkage to get a torque wrench and socket on it. Not sure if that's with all tri fives or due to factory power steering?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    I have a few miles on it since this happened and last night checked it with just a hand wrench and couldn't turn it clockwise. Yes the wrench is short and gives less leverage but it didn't budge. Felt like the locktight is working this time. Not that the locktight should be needed, but maybe the whole thing was too full of oil/grease to work the first time years ago? For the drivers side, I have to drop part of the steering linkage to get a torque wrench and socket on it. Not sure if that's with all tri fives or due to factory power steering?
    You could put white paint index marks on the fasteners, and just visually check them from time to time too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123