Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks

Thread: ADOPTED - DNA

Member #:1653

ADOPTED - DNA

Anyone here adopted? I am. Anyone here done an Ancestry.com DNA test. I have.

So, if you haven't done a DNA test just for giggles and grins, do one. Ancestry.com's test/results do not end. As more and more folks go through the process, the database of likely matches increase and one learns more and more about your lineage.

Recently, Ancestry contacted me with a few possible matches, several from my old homeland, Germany. I reviewed them with some degree of interest just in case there was possibility of discovering my half sister or my birth mother's whereabouts but nothing of any interest. More recently, ancestry contacted me with a match that indicated a possible 1st cousin in California. This, I found to be very interesting. At about the same time frame, this person contacted me revealing his possible match and that ancestry had notified him also.

Long story short; he, and his brothers and sisters all (5) live in California. They are not my cousins. They're my half brothers and sisters. Their mother, my birth mother recently passed away at the age of 97. Very mixed emotions.

Life can be crazy...………………………………………………..

Member #:516
    Hey Nick,

I'm not adopted but my dad is he knew his dad his whole life but didn't know he was his dad until adulthood. I was able to verify that through Ancestry.com. When I was a kid my parents divorced and my mom was pregnant they gave the baby up. I found him through the adoption agency. But through Ancestry.com I found a 1/2 brother that my dad's girl friend gave up and he was adopted also. Then I found my dad's biological mother's family which he never new. Turns out my favorite local hometown stock car driver when I was a kid is my uncle!!!!

Member #:3217
    Wow.. Neat stories! I'm happy that you fellas both found additional information on your biological familes via the dna process with Ancestry.com... I had always believed I was 1/8 Cherokee Indian until seeing the results... (but maybe the Cherokee also came from western Europe?)..

Member #:2941
    Not adopted, but interesting stuff nonetheless! Both my wife and myself have done quite a bit of research into our geneaology. As a result, she knows more about my own family history on my Dad's maternal side than do I.

We recently sent off DNA samples to Ancestry.com and the majority of them mirrored the results of our geneaolgy research thus far. There were a few surprises, though. Seems my wife has more Irish blood than I and I have more Scottish and English blood than she.

One surprise for me was 12% Scandinavian...... Then I remembered that Cheryl had traced my Dad's maternal ancestors back a very long way. Seems that amongst them were quite a few knights, royals and such as they were Normans who came to England with William the Conqueror. The Normans were descended of Vikings who established a colony along the French coast (now called Normandy). The French king at the time was pretty sharp...... Rather than send his armies to fight them, he made a pact with them that he would give them the land there so long as they would swear allegiance to the crown (him) and that they would fight any other Vikings who might attempt to conquer and settle in his territory. So that explains the 12% Scandinavian.

One thing that did surprise me...... On Mom's Jewish side of the family, I knew we were Sephardi mainly (descended of the Jews who came to the Iberian peninsula (Spain and Portugal) and lived there for 400 years under Muslim rule until Ferdinand and Isabella conquered Spain in 1492, drove out the Muslims and issued a royal decree that anyone who did not either convert to Christianity or flee the country with whatever possessions they could carry (their landholdings were forfeit) within the following 90 days...... Would be summarily put to death (and as we now know from history, the infamous Spanish Inquisition would soon follow). In the case of our family, they made their way from Spain to Portugal. However, the same thing happened in Portugal 3 years later and over the following 150 years, they began migrating Northward through Europe, eventually settling in the Netherlands which by then was known as a refuge for oppressed religious minorities and various separatist groups from other lands. It was from the Netherlands that they came to America in the 1600s along with the English separatists and religious refugees living in exile there who came to be called the 'Pilgrims'. That much we knew.

The surprise for me was that I have no Ashkenazi blood. As my Mom had green eyes and her brother and her sisters had blue eyes (and they all had blonde hair except for 1 sister who had jet black hair)...... I had assumed that perhaps somewhere along their journey through Europe, they had intermarried with the Ashkenazi. But that was apparently not the case. According to the DNA results, all my Jewish ancestors were Mizrahi (originated from the area near biblical Israel and what is now Iran and Iraq) and later were Sephardi (made their way to Spain and Portugal). Which I suppose explains why I have dark hair and eyes like Mom's Mom. Maybe the blue and green eyes were from the paternal side of Mom's family who lived in the region known as Elsass und Lothringen (now called Alsace and Lorraine). This region lies along the German and French border and has changed hands from one country to the other with every war for hundreds of years.

Not sure what to think about the less than 1% noted as 'thousands of years ago' from what is now Senegal, though. I researched it and that is an area along the border separating Saharan (Northern) Africa with sub-Saharan Africa. It came under Muslim rule and before that, Bedouins and traders (Phoenicians and Jews mainly) had made their way there from the Middle East traveling through Egypt before eventually reaching the Atlantic (West) coast of Africa.

Best regards,

Harry
    Last edited by enigma57; 07-07-2018 at 10:42 PM.
    'G-d Bless The U.S.A.'...... Lee Greenwood......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5aoptI5j0

Member #:2941
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Wow.. Neat stories! I'm happy that you fellas both found additional information on your biological familes via the dna process with Ancestry.com... I had always believed I was 1/8 Cherokee Indian until seeing the results... (but maybe the Cherokee also came from western Europe?)..
    There are those who think the Cherokee originated from the Middle East, Bama. This is based on recent DNA studies......

https://www.theepochtimes.com/geneti...ce_831180.html

Best regards,

Harry
    'G-d Bless The U.S.A.'...... Lee Greenwood......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5aoptI5j0

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    I don't have a big need for it. My Father and his parents were born in Czechoslovakia and immigrated to the USA when he was five.
    My Mother was born here from my grandparents who both immigrated from Austria. My aunt did a very thorough background on the family in Austria, and my Mother visited a very distant relative who lives in the house where my grandmother was born. It was pretty much the same except the thatched roof is metal now. Still has REAL shutters with handle cranks on the inside of the house to open to let the light/heat in, or to close them to block the sun when it was hot.

Although there is a chance I have a half sibling or two from France. My Father told me that the women there were VERY thankful to the US soldiers during WWII.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:3477
    Congrats NickP. It is fascinating learning about your origins. I wanted to give my daughter an Ancestry kit.

However I did some research and read some things that concerned me regarding the ownership of the DNA data after they collect it. We live in a world of data collection (and data loss) these days. I excerpted this from Snopes:

Signing up for Ancestry.com’s DNA test does not mean that the company owns your DNA data, in the complete and permanent way in which that word is typically understood. Customers license it to the company. Customers can choose not to allow their genetic information to be used for certain purposes, and can also revoke the license and have the DNA data and sample destroyed if they wish — something that would not be possible if Ancestry.com owned them outright.
    However, granting Ancestry.com that license can involve giving them relatively significant rights over DNA data, and the scope of these rights may go beyond what is immediately apparent. Furthermore, licensing your DNA data to Ancestry.com does come with risks to your privacy, as well as potentially resulting in problems obtaining life insurance or, in certain circumstances, even getting hired for a particular job.

The whole article is here:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/an...dna-steal-own/

I would still like to do it but since my data is lost regularly including a letter from the IRS that my SSN was used by someone else to gain employment (thank you Equifax), I am hesitant due to the above.

What do you guys think? Just being an alarmist?

Thanks,

S

Last edited by scorpion1110; 07-08-2018 at 06:22 AM. Reason: typo
    Scorpion1110

Rides:
    1957 Thunderbird
    1955 Chevy 2-door Wagon
    1970 Honda Trail 70

I lost my best friend on 10/3/2018. Rest in Peace Dear Lucy. I will miss you.

Member #:516
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1110 View Post

I would still like to do it but since my data is lost regularly including a letter from the IRS that my SSN was used by someone else to gain employment (thank you Equifax), I am hesitant due to the above.

What do you guys think? Just being an alarmist?

Thanks,

S

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Scorpion,

I got this same IRS letter what did you do about it?

Member #:3477
    Called the IRS and they were just as helpful as.. well the IRS. They offered nothing and no info. However the SSA who I also called upped the incompetency bar. They were less helpful.

So here is what you do.. Forget about the lame service reps at the SSA or IRS; they are worthless.

Go to Transunion, Equifax and Experian and LOCK your credit report.Then get credit insurance/identity protection. I like Experian. Equifax can go straight to He!!. Then you need to go to SSA in person and get a PIN so that you can check your social security annual eligible wages against your W2. Oh and file your taxes as soon as you get your W2.

Are you safe? more so than many, less so than when we were in the pre-web world.

General btw, anyone ever wonder if the guys selling identity protection, hired the guys to do the identity/data breaches? Just like the guys selling virus protection who support the guys creating the virus'.

Finance rules the world. Create the issue and then create a solution, and a revenue opportunity.

The greed of man knows no boundaries.

S
    Scorpion1110

Rides:
    1957 Thunderbird
    1955 Chevy 2-door Wagon
    1970 Honda Trail 70

I lost my best friend on 10/3/2018. Rest in Peace Dear Lucy. I will miss you.