Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: LED Headlight Upgrade Question

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by Belair-o View Post
    FWIW, and maybe not much, I saw an oncoming new VW Bug yesterday, and it had halos that extended only about a third of the way around the light. Maybe that would be preferable, rather than extending all the way around the light.
    I like a lot of the ones that look sort of like an eyebrow. I saw some new car yesterday that had what I'm sure is factory, leds all the way around a headlight with a weird shape. That was fugly.

Let me edit and say that although I sort of like the "eyebrow" look, that doesn't go for older vehicles with round headlights. A VW Bug is what I'd call a "silly car". They are different and tend to look like the old ones, not as much anymore but still you know at a glance if it's a Bug. So with the "silly car" theme, I'd say go ahead and make the lights silly too.
    Last edited by 55 Tony; 07-27-2018 at 09:21 AM.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post

I love the 5000 Kelvin for shop lights. 7000 Kelvin I don't like in a shop light. Either one kind of drive me crazy when meeting cars with them in traffic.
    I can't see well at all with 7000 Kelvin and I don't even like the 5000 Kelvin shop lights. I bought the 4700 Kelvin for the whole shop. Must be my eyes but I can see much better with them. Funny how 300 Kelvin difference makes such a difference, to me anyway.

Registered Member

Yes, good luck with the surgery Harry. My 55 has factory power steering and manual brakes. I don't know if it is supposed to be as easy as more modern (70's and 80's) p/s, but it isn't. One of these days I'll figure out what adapter I need to measure the pump pressure. The pump is from 1978. For the brakes, I moved the master cylinder push rod just a little higher on the pedal and it's quite a difference. The master cylinder is a 1" Nova style. For some folks it's too soft of a pedal, for me, as long as stomping on them locks up all 4 wheels without the pedal hitting the floor, then it's good to go.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Banned

Member #:2775
    One of drum brakes benefits is that they are self-energizing, and have great stopping power with not that much pedal pressure when set up correctly. They also have a lot of swept area too. They cannot take the heat from multiple hard long stops as well as disc brakes mostly. Most power brakes are too soft and hard to modulate during intensive braking.
    On my Camaro, I love the Wilwood pedals with side by side Howe master cylinders with and adjustable F/R balance bar. I also have F/R brake pressure gauges, hydraulic park lock on the front, with an adjustable pressure reducing valve to the rear. Using 4 GM 12 inch rotors, with grippy race pads. I think the pedal ratio is 6:25 to one, and I think I am using 7/8th masters cylinders F/R.
    No matter what vehicle or brake system you have, If you can come up with something that can stop in less than 120 feet from 60 MPH you have damn good brakes. Most vehicles, even now are way over that. My 96 Impala SS could stop in a 120 feet which is hard to with most new cars. I don't know what the stopping record is, but the shorter the better.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 07-27-2018 at 04:47 AM.

Member #:3862
    Hey I installed a set of LED Grota lights they were about 350 online for the pair the only upgrade I needed to do was to my flashers because of the low draw ,LED flashers are about $10 a piece online there a great classy look but what an incredible difference in driving at night...

Banned

Member #:2941
    Thanks guys for your well wishes. Made it through the operation OK and am recovering now. Not out of the woods yet, but doing much better.

Some great information here. Really appreciate your input. This will help me make some informed choices when doing my upgrades. Main thing for me when upgrading my '57 is that I do not want to do anything that takes away from the original character of the car. So no 4" exhaust tips on smaller diameter pipes, no 20" wheels with rubber band tires and no halo anything...... Just want seriously brighter lights for night driving when making road trips. Something stock looking, only brighter. Much brighter. The exception being if I could find Hella style LED headlights that have a convex lens like my original lights. Have always thought the Hella lights were just plain good looking. Browsing through here just now......

http://www.rallylights.com/all/headl...und-conversion

Of course, I could just add Hella driving lights and do something less dramatic than a full LED headlight upgrade. Hmmm......

https://www.amazon.com/slp/hella-lights/str8cd49aam45fm

Best regards to all,

Harry

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234