Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: LT1. vs: LS3 swap

Registered Member

Member #:3445

LT1. vs: LS3 swap

I have neither of the above noted engines but knowing little about these modern motors which would easier to install in my 57-150 sedan? Several are available on internet as used engine/trans assemblies and I will probably go that direction.

I know many LS3’s have been swapped in but does the LT1 make sense. Can someone give me the pitfalls of each?

Thanks in advance
    Jerry

Registered Member

Member #:571
    There is a lot more aftermarket support for the LS3. But support for the LT1 is starting to grow, pretty rapidly at that. One item I've never seen for an LT1 (but it may exist) is an oil pan that fits. Holley now has accessory drives with a power steering pump, something that was lacking previously, as the LT1 uses electric power steering.

Registered Member

Member #:3445
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    There is a lot more aftermarket support for the LS3. But support for the LT1 is starting to grow, pretty rapidly at that. One item I've never seen for an LT1 (but it may exist) is an oil pan that fits. Holley now has accessory drives with a power steering pump, something that was lacking previously, as the LT1 uses electric power steering.
    Thanks, Rick.........yes I'm aware of the LS# oil pan issue and the need for a change to GM's Muscle Car pan or Holley's aft mkt pan. Don't know if there is a pan for the LT1 in a tri five chevy or not.
    Seems to me the LT1 could be a little more complicated, too, with VVT, and Direct Injection...........just a little more to go wrong perhaps, but great if it all works right!

thanks again, Jerry

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I checked on what Holley offers for pans - they have an LT pan that is similar to their 302-3 pan for LS engines - and it might work. Their 302-1 pan works well in a 55-57, and I'm thinking that a 302-3 would too but it's not necessary. A call to Holley or a side view drawing would confirm or deny that.

VVT isn't something to be concerned about. Most gen4 LS engines have it even though the LS3 doesn't. For instance the L92 truck engine has it - same displacement and heads as an LS3. AFM seems to be more of a negative deal than VVT, but they've been improving that. I think all but the LS3 have that also.

As for direct injection, that's what makes an LT1 different from any LS - and what makes more power and better economy than LS.

Member #:530
    Whatever engine you decide on, please document your build and post it often on this forum. An LT1 swap would be great to see someone do...as it's the more modern engine swap nowadays.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:3928
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    Whatever engine you decide on, please document your build and post it often on this forum. An LT1 swap would be great to see someone do...as it's the more modern engine swap nowadays.

Hey guys! Happy Labor Day! Has anyone come across anyone elses gen v LT conversion yet? I am about to get started on a 56 2 door w/LT4 build, and trying to determine if I will use the stock frame and build my chassis, or just go with an Art Morrison chassis that's already had all the design work and clearance issues worked out.

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    I have an LS3/525hp and am very satisfied with it. Having said that, my next project is a 59 corvette with a gen v LT1. Turns out the shop that did my interior has installed at least 6 gen v LT4s I’m aware of. He is also a distributor for GM performance and beats any price I’ve seen on the LS and LT products.

Another item, they use Roadster Shop chassis under everything they build. I put an Art Morrison chassis under the 56 I built, and I’m quite satisfied, although I might have elected to go with the RS chassis hah I checked it out earlier. Give Paul Atkins Interiors/hot rods a call if you would like to discuss the options, 256-352-9608.