Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: This is so True

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    What were some of the things that caused them to have to fight for the states rights? I have heard for many years what they were not fighting for, (they did not fight for what my history books said, that I know). I think I read there was some kind of taxation issues with cotton as one of the things that sparked the war.(?)
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:3217
    In my (southern) mind, 'states' rights' is just an extension of individual rights... If all the people (or a great majority) of a state think a certain way about an issue, then shouldn't that state have the right to pass it's own laws reflecting the morals/ethics/thoughts of it's citizens? OR should large populous states a great distance away have the 'political power' to direct the laws of all of us? When the country was founded, it was founded as a confederation of states, with the people within the states having the power to decide how the country went. Over the last 200 yrs that power has gradually been *moved* to the federal government. The federal government today is mostly a collection of politicians/lobbyists/etc who don't even LIVE in any of the states! Instead they have adopted the 'central government' seated in DC as their 'home' (mostly because THEY have the power to TAX and SPEND the $$$ collected from the states!). The Civil War did some good in that it kept the union of states together; I don't think it should be possible for any state to 'secede' every time they have an issue, BUT our laws should reflect what the states desire, NOT what the federal bureaucrats/politicos want.

I strongly support the movement for the CoS (Convention of States) as provided for in Article V of the Constitution... (when the laws passed by the Congress do not accurately reflect the will of the people, the states can amend the laws...)

Member #:2941
    Tony, Bama has answered your question very well. Not much I can add. The short version is that from the time of our nation's founding until quite recently, citizens felt allegiance primarily to their family, their community and their state and to a lesser degree, a national allegiance.

Our nation was founded as a loose and voluntary confederation of states and as stated in our nation's founding documents, individual states were (and still are) sovereign in their own right to a great degree.

Bottom line, our Constitution is written so as to protect both state's rights and the rights of individual citizens by defining (and limiting) the obligations and powers of the federal government.

The federal government exists mainly to deal with other nations (treaties and such), and in the event of war, to defend and protect our nation from enemies both without and within (AKA 'foreign and domestic').

Further, when our nation was formed it was clearly understood that each state voluntarily joined the confederation as determined by representatives of the people residing within that state and that should the majority of citizens of any state by popular vote decide that they no longer wished to remain in the confederation (AKA 'union') of states, that they could secede from this voluntary union. Its been some years since I have read about it, but as I recall...... There were more than a few states which refused to join the confederation (union) at the signing of our Declaration of Independence from England and later, at the signing of our Constitution without adding written stipulations to that effect (the voluntary nature of their affiliation). New York as I recall was quite adamant regarding such safeguards of state sovereignty at the time of their joining. That's the gist of it.

And as Bama alluded to...... The federal government over the past 200 year has incrementally usurped authority which is by Constitution reserved to both the states and to the general citizenry as well as involving itself in matters which have nothing to do with its purpose for existing as stated in our Constitution. In other words, our Constitution remains the same, but the federal government has unconstitutionally gotten off into matters which are either none of its concern...... And/or are reserved to the states and to the citizens of this nation. I agree that a Convention of States (not a Constitutional Convention, this is different) would be a good place to start rectifying these issues...... So long as the hate America crowd do not manage to steal the Convention and screw things up even more than they have already.

Best regards,

Harry
    'G-d Bless The U.S.A.'...... Lee Greenwood......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5aoptI5j0

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123