Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 57 Nomad-C4-LS1 called "Ozzy"

Member #:530
    Update:

Still messing with the final fab of the firewall. Lately I've gotten the mastercylinder-brake bracket mounted in, and put the hydroboost on to check fitment. Everything seems to fit OK. I'm now starting to figure out the clutch mastercylinder & rod alignment and how to fab a bracket and mount it to the firewall. What you see in this pic was designed and fabbed by the previous owner, where there was a 7" vacuum booster in play. it may still work, but I need to check the clutch pedal movement and make sure the clutch rod will engage enough (but not to the point that it bottoms out on the MC or it will break it...it's plastic after all).

And I discovered after reinstalling the Ididit steering column (that came with the car when I bought it), that it's about 2 or 3 inches too short. doesnt fit thru the firewall enough to get that bottom mount on. Aargh...need to get a longer one I guess. This was originally intended to mount to a CPP500 on the stock frame, and a vibration dampner style ujoint. This steering column is a 30 inch unit. I need a 32 or 33 inch unit to extend all the way thru the firewall...then connect it with ujoints and DD bar down the the C4 rack.

DSCN2303.jpg

I also decided (after fabbing up this new firewall) to move the engine/trans FORWARD about a half inch...since there's room to do it and it was just too tight (back of engine to firewall). The firewall has a 2 3/4 inch setback, but in the end...that wasn't really enough. So I'm going to remove and relocate the motor mount "perches" that Laszlo welded onto the C4 crossmember for me when he fabbed up my frame. I want the motor mount and the perch under it to be all lined up nice and centered. Right now, it's off quite a bit.

DSCN2298.jpgDSCN2297.jpg

Lots more tweaks to sheetmetal and Mig welding to do here...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:133
    I'm running the Ididit 1140550010 column and it doesn't come through the firewall very much on mine either, so I added a rubber seal around the center shaft on the firewall side. I think they keep it short so the rag joint can fit between the column and the box, and there wasn't much room for error in mine when I mounted it up. My firewall has a second overlay welded on for smoothing and I ended up ditching my CPP500 box because of poor header clearance with my big block. I went to a power rack and ordered the polished stainless couplers and the D shaft from Borgeson. Works out just fine!

Not a great shot but you can see the column here.

(it's as short as yours so you may have the right one. I used a Borgeson floor mount on the inside to align & hold it firmly.

Stainless shaft from Borgeson.

Member #:115
    Hi Paul,

As we discussed, we have been installing the LS engines further forward than we did yours. We used your actual measurements to locate your engine, and it should have worked out, but I did notice later that Wade's engine was further forward than yours and his fit very well.

If you would like new LS mount perches (the ones on the k-member), I'll send you a pair for free. Let me know.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    If you would like new LS mount perches (the ones on the k-member), I'll send you a pair for free. Let me know.
    yez, boz. that would be great. I want to move 'em forward and think by the time I cut the existing ones out, they won't look good to refit them.

Thankyou.

That looks nice DN. Whose rubber gasket did you use there? Wondering if it will hold the water out on a rainy drive.
    I'd like to get a column that goes competely thru the firewall an inch or two...just because it seems like it would mount firmer, and I could avoid any kind of seperate inside bracket holding it to the firewall that way. That's just me being picky.

Problem is, not sure I can find an Ididit column, with the collar for a 57 (they are different than the 55,56) and one that is LONGER than the usual 30 inches meant for a CPP 500 setup. I need to call someone at Ididt and discuss it with them to know for sure.

And they are pricey too boot. gonna be $500 just to get a plain steel one shipped to me probably.

one step forward- two steps back- fall on your face- get up and do it again...with a grin...

Another update:

So I stared at that short steering column long enough to decide to try using the mount on the inside, rather than the outside. The column (at 30 inches) technically will work, as long as I can get a firm mount at the very end of it where it passes thru the firewall. So I goofed around with it a bit this morning, and this is what I came up with.

DSCN2307.jpg DSCN2308.jpg

While I was at it, I also cut thru the firewall and mounted the clutch MC and got both the clutch and brake rods attached to the pedals.

DSCN2305.jpgDSCN2304.jpg

Then I put in the Vintage AC Condensor unit under the dash and marked where I will be welding in the studs on the inside of the firewall, to "hang" it from.

More to go...

Still need to figure out where I will pass the AC lines thru the firewall and cut those in, fill all the unused holes, as well as re-think and re-do the way the hood hinges mount. I'm not happy with the bolt heads on the inside of the cabin...so far up under the Vintage AC unit that you can't get to them. I'm thinking of welding in all 3 nuts (for each hinge) to the inside firewall, and then slotting the hinge bracket so I can adjust it up/down and tighten all 3 bolts from the under the hood. Anyone else ever done this?

Paul, IMO you should move your column forward some if you can. I sat in a 57 with a tilt column and it felt like the steering wheel was in my chest...and I'm not a big guy. I moved mine forward a couple of inches. Wade did some mods to his that you might want to look at here:

http://linger.com/nomad/Interior.htm

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

This column that I have is about 6 inches or so from the end to end.

DSCN2310.jpg

DSCN2309.jpg

If I cut that gauge pod down like Wade did, then I'm dealing with a different shaped collar than what he has... and I dont' think it's gonna look good. I might be able to dissassble the column, then shorten the collar from the steering wheel side (on the gauge pod side) and maybe gain 1" shorter overall...

I've also discovered that the column I have doesn't have any mount holes/nuts built into the column, (below the instrument gauge pod...where the round bracket mounts from under the dash) so not sure how to mount this in without dissassembling this column completely and adding holes/nuts to make it work.

Aarrgh...always a chore to build something unique.

Paul, Wade's column is a Flaming River. I don't know how much shorter he was able to make it. If you could push it forward, you would gain on the firewall end, obviously. Mine is a 35" column.

BTW, e-mail me your mailing address and I'll get those mounts on the way to you.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:528
    Cnut I wish my Ididit had been 35, that would have made life a lot easier.
    Jim
    Just because it's old dosen't make it a classic:
    and just because it's rare doesn't make it cool.
    Picks & Vids

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast