Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 57 Nomad-C4-LS1 called "Ozzy"

Member #:530
    Well there's really no update at this time. I had to move the Nomad out of the garage for a few weeks, to get some subterrainean termites executed. Darned boogers been coming out of the crack in the slab-footing every spring for 4 years now, getting more and more of them. Had to completely dismantle EVERYTHING on or near the floor of my 2 car garage (including the workbench) and have the slab drilled every 24 inches and had some chemical called Termidor injection sprayed in the dirt under the garage and house. Was NOT planning to do that this year but the first warm spring weekend arrived and thats' when they exit the nests...looking for mates and more wood to eat. NOT MY HOUSE THANKYOU. It's dropped $250K in value in 4 years now, and I'm protecting it from the termites anyways. What a fool.

So I will be putting it back in about 2 weeks (business trip becons between now and then)and get back to that steering column issue. I'm wondering if I can dissassemble the column completely, trim down that collar and pickup the 1 inch that I need to get it closer to the instrument panel AND thru the firewall a bit more. We'll see...

Paul
    Last edited by WagonCrazy; 05-09-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:524
    I really like your project man it looks to be coming along great.

Thanks for the compliment BAM. I'm a little bit wiser on this one, having done a major "frame on" restoration-build of the 9 passenger wagon first. With those experiences and choices in mind, I move onto the Nomad and want to make it even nicer. One of these days we'll meet up since you and I are in the same region of the country. I'm considering driving the 9 passenger wagon out to a show in June in San Pedro called Cars and Stripes Forever. Its an afternoon-evening show with fireworks over the harbor after dark. My buddy designs alot of fireworks shows around here, so he mentioned this one to me. Its Friday night June 29. Will have to brave the 405 south thru the westside of LA to get there, but that goes with the territory when you live around here in sunny SoCal. Talk to you sometime soon.

and get back to that steering column issue. I'm wondering if I can dissassemble the column completely, trim down that collar and pickup the 1 inch that I need to get it closer to the instrument panel AND thru the firewall a bit more. We'll see...
    OK. Back into car building mode. Got rid of termites, kids out of school-college for the summer (with gainful jobs I might add) and work is busy but my head needs a break so back to the Nomad build.

The latest on this is that the column I've been assuming all along I would use, is really too short for this Corvette rack setup. It barely exits the firewall and it's missing a tilt lever and the hazard button is broke off and the collar at the dash doesnt quite fit over the gauge pod correctly, so I think I'm gonna bit the bullet and get a new tilt column that is several inches longer than this one, so it exits thru the firewall more completely.

Then I need to figure out the steering ujoint-tube situation. The Corvette rack is a 17mm DD style nub. I need to put a rag joint or a vibration dampner style ujoint on it and then configure it to go around the header tube and up to the 1" DD steering column shaft.
    Been lurking around Summit building a wish list of parts I'll need and I'm over $250 for the linkage and ujoints and $400 more for apaintable tilt steering column. Yikes....
    Thought I could use what I had, but it doesn't seem to want to work well...
    More to come...maybe some pics if I get out there in the garage tonight after the LA Kings win the Stanley cup!

Member #:115
    Paul, I used Borgeson stainless u-joints and a splined stainless shaft for my steering. Top u-joint is the dampening style with the 1" DD and splined lower end, and the bottom one is 3/4" (I think) DD on top with splines on the bottom.

56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Spent the better part of the weekend in the garage, thrashing out the removal and replacement of new motor mount perches (to move the engine 3/4" forward). Along with that, built the connection between the steering box and the steering column.

Ended up going with the existing short column, as it does protrude (ever so little) thru the firewall. Used a 1" to 3/4" dd "coupler", then lengthened the column reach using 3/4 dd shaft, to a billet ujoint, then re-used the existing Corvette rag joint and modified one end of the existing Corvette aluminum shaft to complete the connection. Bascially just cut it to the necessary length, and sanded/filed it to fit the 3/4 DD shape. Worked like a charm!

I didnt' start out this way, but using the existing Corvette lower rag joint and shaft worked way better than plumbing in an aftermarket rag joint (17mm DD on one end & 3/4 DD on the other end) and 2 billet steering joints. I tried that, cut and plumbed it all in and it was so loose at the rag joint connection that it hit the C4 cradle and header when you turned the steering wheel. So I'm returning about $150 worth of un-needed parts back to Summit.

Here's some pics.

DSCN2309.jpg DSCN2337.jpg DSCN2336.jpg

The Hooker headers are "LS for tri-5 with aftermarket rack n pinion steering". I forget the Summit item # at the moment, and they are really not the right ones for this C4 application, but they will work. That clearance to the #1 header is about 1/8th inch...

I might pull the drivers side header off and have a custom tube bent up for the #1 spot, and then cut and reweld it in there...to increase the spacing for the steering shaft. It's functional as it stands now, but very close. That header heat will transfer to anything in that close of proximity...

Progress...ever so slow. But continues.
    Paul

Member #:436
    Lookin good my friend glad to saee you'r making some progress, will be glad when mine get's that far along.

Registered Member

Member #:238
    Really nice job!

You actually inspire me talking about how you're juggling kids, work, and the Nomad.
    Keep up the good work.

Member #:1653
    HOT ROD POWER TOUR will inspire you.

I have nearly every aspect of this Nomad torn apart at the moment, with no pics to post...but here's the rundown:

Pulled the rear axle-hub assemblies apart to media blast, and put in new Energy Suspension bushings, new hub-bearing assemblies (it's all one piece...you can't replace just the berarings) new drilled & slotted rotors, cleaned up and painted the stock calipers, longer wheel studs and 1/2 inch spacers to get the C5 wheels positioned in the stock wheelwells properly, etc.

Working on the custom firewall, to finish it up to include a sleeve over where the steering column protrudes. To clean that up a bit, since I ended up putting an extension on the end of the column to lengthen it to where I needed it to be in order to align wiht the rack connection point.

Re-doing the trans cross mount piece that Laszlo originally made. I ended up moving the engine-trans forward 3/4 inch from where I had him spot it originally, so all the mounting points changed...

Still have the trans tunnel floor sheetmetal all opened up. Once the trans is fitted in it's permanent spot, will close that all up and figure out the center console layout so I can incorporate the mounting points.

Plumbed in the MAF and air cleaner "temporarily". It makes a sharp 90 degree turn towards the driver side with the air filter just behind the top radiator support bar. Pics coming soon.

Still need money for:
    Custom fuel tank with in-tank pump setup
    Plumb stainless fuel and brake lines
    Determine and order coilover shocks on alll 4 corners
    figure out where I will spot the ECU and wiring harness routing. One day it's inside the cabin, the next day it's in the inner fenderwell. Can't make up my mind. I dont want to look at a bunch of wires in the engine compartment once it's all done.
    Finish the interior cabin sheetmetal work (front and rear seat mount bases, rear bulkhead, floor mods for the C4 dogbone connection points, etc.

All that and more just to get to the point where I can start it up and see if this LS1 engine will run...

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast